Impact on ART initiation of point-of-care CD4 testing at HIV diagnosis among HIV-positive youth in Khayelitsha, South Africa
AuthorsPatten, Gabriela E M
Harries, Anthony D
Edginton, Mary E
De Azevedo, Virginia
van Cutsem, Gilles
AffiliationMSF Khayelitsha, Cape Town, South Africa. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDespite the rapid expansion of antiretroviral therapy (ART) programmes in developing countries, pre-treatment losses from care remain a challenge to improving access to treatment. Youth and adolescents have been identified as a particularly vulnerable group, at greater risk of loss from both pre-ART and ART care. Point-of-care (POC) CD4 testing has shown promising results in improving linkage to ART care. In Khayelitsha township, South Africa, POC CD4 testing was implemented at a clinic designated for youth aged 12-25 years. We assessed whether there was an associated reduction in attrition between HIV testing, assessment for eligibility and ART initiation.
- Comparison of point-of-care versus laboratory-based CD4 cell enumeration in HIV-positive pregnant women.
- Authors: Myer L, Daskilewicz K, McIntyre J, Bekker LG
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 16
- Initiating Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV at a Patient's First Clinic Visit: The RapIT Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Authors: Rosen S, Maskew M, Fox MP, Nyoni C, Mongwenyana C, Malete G, Sanne I, Bokaba D, Sauls C, Rohr J, Long L
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Effect of point-of-care CD4 cell count tests on retention of patients and rates of antiretroviral therapy initiation in primary health clinics: an observational cohort study.
- Authors: Jani IV, Sitoe NE, Alfai ER, Chongo PL, Quevedo JI, Rocha BM, Lehe JD, Peter TF
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 29
- Pilot programme for the rapid initiation of antiretroviral therapy in pregnancy in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Authors: Myer L, Zulliger R, Black S, Pienaar D, Bekker LG
- Issue date: 2012
- Impact of nurse-delivered community-based CD4 services on facilitating pre-ART care in rural South Africa.
- Authors: Kompala T, Moll AP, Mtungwa N, Brooks RP, Friedland GH, Shenoi SV
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 11