An ambulance referral network improves access to emergency obstetric and neonatal care in a district of rural Burundi with high maternal mortality
Van den Boogaard, W
De Plecker, E
Harries, A D
AffiliationMedical department Operational Research, Medecins sans Frontieres, Luxembourg. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn 2006, Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) established an emergency obstetric and neonatal care (EmONC) referral facility linked to an ambulance referral system for the transfer of women with obstetric complications from peripheral maternity units in Kabezi district, rural Burundi. This study aimed to (i) describe the communication and ambulance service together with the cost; (ii) examine the association between referral times and maternal and early neonatal deaths; and (iii) assess the impact of the referral service on coverage of complicated obstetric cases and caesarean sections.
- Achieving the millennium development goal of reducing maternal mortality in rural Africa: an experience from Burundi.
- Authors: Tayler-Smith K, Zachariah R, Manzi M, Van den Boogaard W, Nyandwi G, Reid T, Van den Bergh R, De Plecker E, Lambert V, Nicolai M, Goetghebuer S, Christaens B, Ndelema B, Kabangu A, Manirampa J, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Emergency obstetric referral in rural Sierra Leone: what can motorbike ambulances contribute? A mixed-methods study.
- Authors: Bhopal SS, Halpin SJ, Gerein N
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Transport of pregnant women and obstetric emergencies in India: an analysis of the '108' ambulance service system data.
- Authors: Singh S, Doyle P, Campbell OM, Rao GV, Murthy GV
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 21
- Emergency obstetric and neonatal care availability, use, and quality: a cross-sectional study in the city of Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 2011.
- Authors: Ntambue AM, Malonga FK, Cowgill KD, Dramaix-Wilmet M, Donnen P
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 19
- Interfacility transfer of pregnant women using publicly funded emergency call centre-based ambulance services: a cross-sectional analysis of service logs from five states in India.
- Authors: Singh S, Doyle P, Campbell OM, Oakley L, Rao GR, Murthy G
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 9