Molecular epidemiology of multidrug-resistant Shigella dysenteriae type 1 causing dysentery outbreaks in Central African Republic, 2003-2004.
Massamba, P M
Escribà, J M
Grimont, P A D
Weill, F X
AffiliationInstitut Pasteur de Bangui, BP 923, Bangui, Central African Republic.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractShigella dysenteriae type 1 (Sd1) represents a particular threat in developing countries because of the severity of the infection and its epidemic potential. Antimicrobial susceptibility testing and molecular subtyping by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) and plasmid profiling (PP) of Sd1 isolates collected during two dysentery outbreaks (2013 and 445 cases of bloody diarrhoea) in Central African Republic (CAR) during the period 2003-2004 were reported. Eleven Sd1 comparison strains (CS) acquired by travellers or residents of Africa (n=10) or Asia (n=1) between 1993 and 2003 were also analysed. The 19 Sd1 isolates recovered from CAR outbreaks were multidrug resistant, although susceptible to quinolones and fluoroquinolones. Molecular subtyping by PFGE was more discriminatory than PP. The PFGE using XbaI and NotI restriction enzymes indicated that the two outbreaks were due to two different clones and also revealed a genetic diversity among the CS recovered from outbreak or sporadic cases between 1993 and 2003. This study was the result of a fruitful collaboration between field physicians and microbiologists. The data collected will serve as the basis for establishing long-term monitoring of Sd1 in CAR.
- Evaluation of the molecular epidemiology of an outbreak of multiply resistant Shigella sonnei in a day-care center by using pulsed-field gel electrophoresis and plasmid DNA analysis.
- Authors: Brian MJ, Van R, Townsend I, Murray BE, Cleary TG, Pickering LK
- Issue date: 1993 Aug
- Molecular characterization of multidrug-resistant Shigella species isolated from epidemic and endemic cases of shigellosis in India.
- Authors: Pazhani GP, Niyogi SK, Singh AK, Sen B, Taneja N, Kundu M, Yamasaki S, Ramamurthy T
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Molecular epidemiology of a Shigella flexneri outbreak in a mountainous township in Taiwan, Republic of China.
- Authors: Chiou CS, Hsu WB, Wei HL, Chen JH
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Genetic relatedness of ciprofloxacin-resistant Shigella dysenteriae type 1 strains isolated in south Asia.
- Authors: Talukder KA, Khajanchi BK, Islam MA, Dutta DK, Islam Z, Safa A, Khan GY, Alam K, Hossain MA, Malla S, Niyogi SK, Rahman M, Watanabe H, Nair GB, Sack DA
- Issue date: 2004 Oct
- Distribution and antibiotic susceptibility of Shigella isolates in Bangui, Central African Republic.
- Authors: Bercion R, Njuimo SP, Boudjeka PM, Manirakiza A
- Issue date: 2008 Apr