Obstetric Fistula in Burundi: a comprehensive approach to managing women with this neglected disease
van den Boogaard, W
De Plecker, E
Harries, A D
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Pregnancy and Childbirth
AbstractIn Burundi, the annual incidence of obstetric fistula is estimated to be 0.2-0.5% of all deliveries, with 1000--2000 new cases per year. Despite this relatively high incidence, national capacity for identifying and managing obstetric fistula is very limited. Thus, in July 2010, Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) set up a specialised Obstetric Fistula Centre in Gitega (Gitega Fistula Centre, GFC), the only permanent referral centre for obstetric fistula in Burundi. A comprehensive model of care is offered including psychosocial support, conservative and surgical management, post-operative care and follow-up. We describe this model of care, patient outcomes and the operational challenges.
PublisherBioMed Central Ltd
- High loss to follow-up following obstetric fistula repair surgery in rural Burundi: is there a way forward?
- Authors: Bishinga A, Zachariah R, Hinderaker S, Tayler-Smith K, Khogali M, van Griensven J, van den Boogaard W, Tamura M, Christiaens B, Sinabajije G
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 21
- Medico-social pathways of obstetric fistula patients in Mali and Niger: an 18-month cohort follow-up.
- Authors: Maulet N, Keita M, Macq J
- Issue date: 2013 May
- An ambulance referral network improves access to emergency obstetric and neonatal care in a district of rural Burundi with high maternal mortality.
- Authors: Tayler-Smith K, Zachariah R, Manzi M, Van den Boogaard W, Nyandwi G, Reid T, De Plecker E, Lambert V, Nicolai M, Goetghebuer S, Christiaens B, Ndelema B, Kabangu A, Manirampa J, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Sources of support for women experiencing obstetric fistula in northern Ghana: A focused ethnography.
- Authors: Sullivan G, O'Brien B, Mwini-Nyaledzigbor P
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Social Experiences of Women with Obstetric Fistula Seeking Treatment in Kampala, Uganda.
- Authors: Meurice M, Genadry R, Heimer C, Ruffer G, Kafunjo BJ
- Issue date: 2017 May - Aug