Intensive-Phase Treatment Outcomes among Hospitalized Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis Patients: Results from a Nationwide Cohort in Nigeria
Obasanya, O J
Van den Bergh, R
Kumar, A M V
Hinderaker, S G
Abdurrahman, S T
Cuevas, L E
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNigeria is faced with a high burden of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB). Treatment outcomes among MDR-TB patients registered across the globe have been poor, partly due to high loss-to-follow-up. To address this challenge, MDR-TB patients in Nigeria are hospitalized during the intensive-phase(IP) of treatment (first 6-8 months) and are provided with a package of care including standardized MDR-TB treatment regimen, antiretroviral therapy (ART) and cotrimoxazole prophylaxis (CPT) for HIV-infected patients, nutritional and psychosocial support. In this study, we report the end-IP treatment outcomes among them.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Impact of the human immunodeficiency virus on early multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment outcomes in Botswana.
- Authors: Hafkin J, Modongo C, Newcomb C, Lowenthal E, MacGregor RR, Steenhoff AP, Friedman H, Bisson GP
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Improved survival in multidrug-resistant tuberculosis patients receiving integrated tuberculosis and antiretroviral treatment in the SAPiT Trial.
- Authors: Padayatchi N, Abdool Karim SS, Naidoo K, Grobler A, Friedland G
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Poor outcomes in a cohort of HIV-infected adolescents undergoing treatment for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Mumbai, India.
- Authors: Isaakidis P, Paryani R, Khan S, Mansoor H, Manglani M, Valiyakath A, Saranchuk P, Furin J
- Issue date: 2013
- Ambulatory multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment outcomes in a cohort of HIV-infected patients in a slum setting in Mumbai, India.
- Authors: Isaakidis P, Cox HS, Varghese B, Montaldo C, Da Silva E, Mansoor H, Ladomirska J, Sotgiu G, Migliori GB, Pontali E, Saranchuk P, Rodrigues C, Reid T
- Issue date: 2011
- Outcomes of comprehensive care for children empirically treated for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in a setting of high HIV prevalence.
- Authors: Satti H, McLaughlin MM, Omotayo DB, Keshavjee S, Becerra MC, Mukherjee JS, Seung KJ
- Issue date: 2012