Risk factors for cholera transmission in Haiti during inter-peak periods: insights to improve current control strategies from two case-control studies
Jean-Simon, P S J
Alberti, K P
Luquero, F J
AffiliationEpicentre, Paris, France.
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEpidemiology and Infection
AbstractSUMMARY Two community-based density case-control studies were performed to assess risk factors for cholera transmission during inter-peak periods of the ongoing epidemic in two Haitian urban settings, Gonaives and Carrefour. The strongest associations were: close contact with cholera patients (sharing latrines, visiting cholera patients, helping someone with diarrhoea), eating food from street vendors and washing dishes with untreated water. Protective factors were: drinking chlorinated water, receiving prevention messages via television, church or training sessions, and high household socioeconomic level. These findings suggest that, in addition to contaminated water, factors related to direct and indirect inter-human contact play an important role in cholera transmission during inter-peak periods. In order to reduce cholera transmission in Haiti intensive preventive measures such as hygiene promotion and awareness campaigns should be implemented during inter-peak lulls, when prevention activities are typically scaled back.
PublisherCambridge University Press
DescriptionTo access this article, click on "Additional Links".
- Epidemic cholera in a crowded urban environment, Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
- Authors: Dunkle SE, Mba-Jonas A, Loharikar A, Fouché B, Peck M, Ayers T, Archer WR, De Rochars VM, Bender T, Moffett DB, Tappero JW, Dahourou G, Roels T, Quick R
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Risk factors early in the 2010 cholera epidemic, Haiti.
- Authors: O'Connor KA, Cartwright E, Loharikar A, Routh J, Gaines J, Fouché MD, Jean-Louis R, Ayers T, Johnson D, Tappero JW, Roels TH, Archer WR, Dahourou GA, Mintz E, Quick R, Mahon BE
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Risk factors associated with cholera in Harare City, Zimbabwe, 2008.
- Authors: Kone-Coulibaly A, Tshimanga M, Shambira G, Gombe NT, Chadambuka A, Chonzi P, Mungofa S
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Risk factors for cholera in Pohnpei during an outbreak in 2000: lessons for Pacific countries and territories.
- Authors: Kirk MD, Kiedrzynski T, Johnson E, Elymore A, Wainiqolo I
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Risk factors of cholera transmission in rural areas in Haiti.
- Authors: Gazin P, Barrais R, Uwineza F
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 1