van Griensven, Johan
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases
AbstractVisceral Leishmaniasis (VL) is an important protozoan opportunistic disease in HIV patients in endemic areas. East Africa is second to the Indian subcontinent in the global VL caseload and first in VL-HIV coinfection rate. Because of the alteration in the disease course, the diagnostic challenges, and the poor treatment responses, VL with HIV coinfection has become a very serious challenge in East Africa today. Field experience with the use of liposomal amphotericin B in combination with miltefosine, followed by secondary prophylaxis and antiretroviral drugs, looks promising. However, this needs to be confirmed through clinical trials. Better diagnostic and follow-up methods for relapse and prediction of relapse should also be looked for. Basic research to understand the immunological interaction of the two infections may ultimately help to improve the management of the coinfection.
- Multiple relapses of visceral leishmaniasis in a patient with HIV in India: a treatment challenge.
- Authors: Patole S, Burza S, Varghese GM
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Combination Treatment for Visceral Leishmaniasis Patients Coinfected with Human Immunodeficiency Virus in India.
- Authors: Mahajan R, Das P, Isaakidis P, Sunyoto T, Sagili KD, Lima MA, Mitra G, Kumar D, Pandey K, Van Geertruyden JP, Boelaert M, Burza S
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 15
- Treatment Options for Visceral Leishmaniasis and HIV Coinfection.
- Authors: Monge-Maillo B, López-Vélez R
- Issue date: 2016 Jan-Mar
- The initial effectiveness of liposomal amphotericin B (AmBisome) and miltefosine combination for treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in HIV co-infected patients in Ethiopia: A retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Abongomera C, Diro E, de Lima Pereira A, Buyze J, Stille K, Ahmed F, van Griensven J, Ritmeijer K
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Leishmania-HIV co-infection: clinical presentation and outcomes in an urban area in Brazil.
- Authors: Cota GF, de Sousa MR, de Mendonça AL, Patrocinio A, Assunção LS, de Faria SR, Rabello A
- Issue date: 2014 Apr