Global practices of meningococcal vaccine use and impact on invasive disease
Jafri, R Z
Klugman, K P
MetadataShow full item record
JournalPathogens and Global Health
AbstractA number of countries now include meningococcal vaccines in their routine immunization programs. This review focuses on different approaches to including meningococcal vaccines in country programs across the world and their effect on the burden of invasive meningococcal disease (IMD) as reflected by pre and post-vaccine incidence rates in the last 20 years. Mass campaigns using conjugated meningococcal vaccines have lead to control of serogroup C meningococcal disease in the UK, Canada, Australia, Spain, Belgium, Ireland, and Iceland. Serogroup B disease, predominant in New Zealand, has been dramatically decreased, partly due to the introduction of an outer membrane vesicle (OMV) vaccine. Polysaccharide vaccines were used in high risk people in Saudi Arabia and Syria and in routine immunization in China and Egypt. The highest incidence region of the meningitis belt initiated vaccination with the serogroup A conjugate vaccine in 2010 and catch-up vaccination is ongoing. Overall results of this vaccine introduction are encouraging especially in countries with a moderate to high level of endemic disease. Continued surveillance is required to monitor effectiveness in countries that recently implemented these programs.
PublisherW.S. Maney & Son Ltd
- Evolving meningococcal immunization strategies.
- Authors: Sáfadi MA, Bettinger JA, Maturana GM, Enwere G, Borrow R, Global Meningococcal Initiative.
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Impact of vaccination on meningococcal epidemiology.
- Authors: Stefanelli P, Rezza G
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 2
- The changing and dynamic epidemiology of meningococcal disease.
- Authors: Halperin SA, Bettinger JA, Greenwood B, Harrison LH, Jelfs J, Ladhani SN, McIntyre P, Ramsay ME, Sáfadi MA
- Issue date: 2012 May 30
- [Meningococcal vaccines: from polysaccharide to conjugate vaccines].
- Authors: Cohen R, Levy C
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Meningococcal disease epidemiology in Australia 10 years after implementation of a national conjugate meningococcal C immunization programme.
- Authors: Lawrence GL, Wang H, Lahra M, Booy R, McINTYRE PB
- Issue date: 2016 Aug