False-positive Xpert(®) MTB/RIF assays in previously treated patients: need for caution in interpreting results.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractXpert(®) MTB/RIF is the initial diagnostic test of choice for tuberculosis (TB). It is not known if false-positive results are more common in previously treated patients. We report four patients with successful treatment for TB up to 5 years previously who presented with respiratory tract infection and were Xpert-positive, but had negative TB cultures and clinical improvement without anti-tuberculosis treatment. We hypothesise that the Xpert results were false-positive due to the presence of dead Mycobacterium tuberculosis bacilli in lungs and sputum. Further work is required to determine the specificity of Xpert in previously treated patients.
- [Evaluation of Xpert MTB/RIF results for the detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in clinical samples].
- Authors: Ciftçi IH, Aslan MH, Aşık G
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Comparison of two nucleic acid amplification assays, the Xpert MTB/RIF assay and the amplified Mycobacterium Tuberculosis Direct assay, for detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in respiratory and nonrespiratory specimens.
- Authors: Teo J, Jureen R, Chiang D, Chan D, Lin R
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- A multisite assessment of the quantitative capabilities of the Xpert MTB/RIF assay.
- Authors: Blakemore R, Nabeta P, Davidow AL, Vadwai V, Tahirli R, Munsamy V, Nicol M, Jones M, Persing DH, Hillemann D, Ruesch-Gerdes S, Leisegang F, Zamudio C, Rodrigues C, Boehme CC, Perkins MD, Alland D
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 1
- In reply to 'False-positive Xpert® MTB/RIF assays in previously treated patients'.
- Authors: Steingart KR, Schiller I, Dendukuri N
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Xpert MTB/RIF Results in Patients With Previous Tuberculosis: Can We Distinguish True From False Positive Results?
- Authors: Theron G, Venter R, Calligaro G, Smith L, Limberis J, Meldau R, Chanda D, Esmail A, Peter J, Dheda K
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 15