Analysis of a novel field dilution method for testing samples that exceed the analytic range of point-of-care blood lead analyzers.
AuthorsNeri, Antonio James
Umar-Tsafe, Nasir Tsafe
Brown, Mary Jean
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInvestigators developed and evaluated a dilution method for the LeadCare II analyzer (LCII) for blood lead levels >65 μg/dL, the analyzer's maximum reporting value. Venous blood samples from lead-poisoned children were initially analyzed in the field using the dilution method. Split samples were analyzed at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) laboratory using both the dilution method and inductively coupled plasma-mass spectrometry (ICP-MS). The concordance correlation coefficient of CDC LCII vs. ICP-MS values (N = 211) was 0.976 (95 % confidence interval (CI) 0.970-0.981); of Field LCII vs. ICP-MS (N = 68) was 0.910 (95% CI 0.861-0.942), and CDC LCII vs. Field LCII (N = 53) was 0.721 (95% CI 0.565-0.827). Sixty percent of CDC and 54% of Field LCII values were within ±10% of the ICP-MS value. Results from the dilution method approximated ICP-MS values and were useful for field-based decision-making. Specific recommendations for additional evaluation are provided.
PublisherTaylor and Francis Group
DescriptionTo access this article, click on "Additional Links".
- Field screening of blood lead levels in remote Andean villages.
- Authors: Counter SA, Buchanan LH, Laurell G, Ortega F
- Issue date: 1998 Dec
- Blood lead levels in children attending a tertiary teaching hospital in Enugu, south-eastern Nigeria.
- Authors: Ugwuja EI, Ogbu IS, Umeaku EA, Otuu FC
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Evaluation of LeadCare Ultra® as an initial screen for elevated blood lead levels.
- Authors: Johnson LM, Lynch M, Johnson C, Karger AB
- Issue date: 2019 Apr
- A Bland-Altman comparison of the Lead Care® System and inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry for detecting low-level lead in child whole blood samples.
- Authors: Sobin C, Parisi N, Schaub T, de la Riva E
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Lead exposure in indigenous communities of the Amazon basin, Peru.
- Authors: Anticona C, Bergdahl IA, Lundh T, Alegre Y, Sebastian MS
- Issue date: 2011 Dec