Clinical features and management of a severe paradoxical reaction associated with combined treatment of Buruli ulcer and HIV co-infection
Toutous Trellu, Laurence
O' Brien, Daniel P
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Infectious Diseases
AbstractIn West and Central Africa Buruli ulcer (BU) and HIV co-infection is increasingly recognised and management of these two diseases combined is an emerging challenge for which there is little published information. In this case we present a severe paradoxical reaction occurring after commencing antibiotic treatment for BU combined with antiretroviral therapy for HIV, and describe its clinical features and management. This includes to our knowledge the first reported use of prednisolone in Africa to manage a severe paradoxical reaction related to BU treatment.
- Management of BU-HIV co-infection.
- Authors: O'Brien DP, Ford N, Vitoria M, Christinet V, Comte E, Calmy A, Stienstra Y, Eholie S, Asiedu K
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Challenges Associated with Management of Buruli Ulcer/Human Immunodeficiency Virus Coinfection in a Treatment Center in Ghana: A Case Series Study.
- Authors: Tuffour J, Owusu-Mireku E, Ruf MT, Aboagye S, Kpeli G, Akuoku V, Pereko J, Paintsil A, Bonney K, Ampofo W, Pluschke G, Yeboah-Manu D
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Incidence, clinical spectrum, diagnostic features, treatment and predictors of paradoxical reactions during antibiotic treatment of Mycobacterium ulcerans infections.
- Authors: O'Brien DP, Robson M, Friedman ND, Walton A, McDonald A, Callan P, Hughes A, Rahdon R, Athan E
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 5
- Wound healing: Natural history and risk factors for delay in Australian patients treated with antibiotics for Mycobacterium ulcerans disease.
- Authors: O'Brien DP, Friedman ND, McDonald A, Callan P, Hughes A, Walton A, Athan E
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Secondary Buruli ulcer skin lesions emerging several months after completion of chemotherapy: paradoxical reaction or evidence for immune protection?
- Authors: Ruf MT, Chauty A, Adeye A, Ardant MF, Koussemou H, Johnson RC, Pluschke G
- Issue date: 2011 Aug