Independent Origin of Plasmodium falciparum Antifolate Super-Resistance, Uganda, Tanzania, and Ethiopia.
Schousboe, Mette L
Kavishe, Reginald A
Minja, Daniel T R
Lemnge, Martha M
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEmerging Infectious Diseases
AbstractSuper-resistant Plasmodium falciparum threatens the effectiveness of sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine in intermittent preventive treatment for malaria during pregnancy. It is characterized by the A581G Pfdhps mutation on a background of the double-mutant Pfdhps and the triple-mutant Pfdhfr. Using samples collected during 2004-2008, we investigated the evolutionary origin of the A581G mutation by characterizing microsatellite diversity flanking Pfdhps triple-mutant (437G+540E+581G) alleles from 3 locations in eastern Africa and comparing it with double-mutant (437G+540E) alleles from the same area. In Ethiopia, both alleles derived from 1 lineage that was distinct from those in Uganda and Tanzania. Uganda and Tanzania triple mutants derived from the previously characterized southeastern Africa double-mutant lineage. The A581G mutation has occurred multiple times on local Pfdhps double-mutant backgrounds; however, a novel microsatellite allele incorporated into the Tanzania lineage since 2004 illustrates the local expansion of emergent triple-mutant lineages.
- Different origin and dispersal of sulfadoxine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum haplotypes between Eastern Africa and Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Authors: Baraka V, Delgado-Ratto C, Nag S, Ishengoma DS, Madebe RA, Mavoko HM, Nabasumba C, Lutumba P, Alifrangis M, Van Geertruyden JP
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Prevalence of Plasmodium falciparum parasites resistant to sulfadoxine/pyrimethamine in pregnant women in Yaoundé, Cameroon: emergence of highly resistant pfdhfr/pfdhps alleles.
- Authors: Chauvin P, Menard S, Iriart X, Nsango SE, Tchioffo MT, Abate L, Awono-Ambéné PH, Morlais I, Berry A
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Low-grade sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum parasites from Lubango, Angola.
- Authors: Kaingona-Daniel EP, Gomes LR, Gama BE, Almeida-de-Oliveira NK, Fortes F, Ménard D, Daniel-Ribeiro CT, Ferreira-da-Cruz Mde F
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 7
- Increasing prevalence of a novel triple-mutant dihydropteroate synthase genotype in Plasmodium falciparum in western Kenya.
- Authors: Lucchi NW, Okoth SA, Komino F, Onyona P, Goldman IF, Ljolje D, Shi YP, Barnwell JW, Udhayakumar V, Kariuki S
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- Frequencies distribution of dihydrofolate reductase and dihydropteroate synthetase mutant alleles associated with sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine resistance in Plasmodium falciparum population from Hadhramout Governorate, Yemen.
- Authors: Bamaga OA, Mahdy MA, Lim YA
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 22