Teleradiology usage and user satisfaction with the telemedicine system operated by Médecins Sans Frontières
Brant, William E
MetadataShow full item record
JournalFrontiers in Public Health
AbstractMédecins Sans Frontières (MSF) began a pilot trial of store-and-forward telemedicine in 2010, initially operating separate networks in English, French, and Spanish; these were merged into a single, multilingual platform in 2013. We reviewed the pattern of teleradiology usage on the MSF telemedicine platform in the 4-year period from April 2010. In total, 564 teleradiology cases were submitted from 22 different countries. A total of 1114 files were uploaded with the 564 cases, the majority being of type JPEG (n = 1081, 97%). The median file size was 938 kb (interquartile range, IQR 163-1659). A panel of 14 radiologists was available to report cases, but most (90%) were reported by only 4 radiologists. The median radiologist response time was 6.1 h (IQR 3.0-20). A user satisfaction survey was sent to 29 users in the last 6 months of the study. There was a 28% response rate. Most respondents found the radiologist's advice helpful and all of them stated that the advice assisted in clarification of a diagnosis. Although some MSF sites made substantial use of the system for teleradiology, there is considerable potential for expansion. More promotion of telemedicine may be needed at different levels of the organization to increase engagement of staff.
- The Development of a Multilingual Tool for Facilitating the Primary-Specialty Care Interface in Low Resource Settings: the MSF Tele-Expertise System.
- Authors: Bonnardot L, Liu J, Wootton E, Amoros I, Olson D, Wong S, Wootton R
- Issue date: 2014
- User Feedback on the MSF Tele-Expertise Service After a 4-Year Pilot Trial - A Comprehensive Analysis.
- Authors: Bonnardot L, Wootton E, Liu J, Steichen O, Bradol JH, Hervé C, Wootton R
- Issue date: 2015
- Quality assessment of X-rays interpreted via teleradiology for Médecins Sans Frontières.
- Authors: Spijker S, Andronikou S, Kosack C, Wootton R, Bonnet M, Lemmens N
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Assessing the quality of teleconsultations in a store-and-forward telemedicine network.
- Authors: Wootton R, Liu J, Bonnardot L
- Issue date: 2014
- Seven years of telemedicine in Médecins Sans Frontières demonstrate that offering direct specialist expertise in the frontline brings clinical and educational value.
- Authors: Delaigue S, Bonnardot L, Steichen O, Garcia DM, Venugopal R, Saint-Sauveur JF, Wootton R
- Issue date: 2018 Dec