Saving life and limb: limb salvage using external fixation, a multi-centre review of orthopaedic surgical activities in Médecins Sans Frontières
AuthorsBertol, M J
Van den Bergh, R
Trelles Centurion, M
Kenslor Ralph D, H
Basimuoneye Kahutsi, J-P
Qayeum Qasemy, A
Kubuya Hangi, T
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWhile the orthopaedic management of open fractures has been well-documented in developed settings, limited evidence exists on the surgical outcomes of open fractures in terms of limb salvage in low- and middle-income countries. We therefore reviewed the Médecins Sans Frontières-Operational Centre Brussels (MSF-OCB) orthopaedic surgical activities in the aftermath of the 2010 Haiti earthquake and in three non-emergency projects to assess the limb salvage rates in humanitarian contexts in relation to surgical staff skills.
PublisherSpringer Berlin Heidelberg
- Médecins sans frontières experience in orthopedic surgery in postearthquake Haiti in 2010.
- Authors: Teicher CL, Alberti K, Porten K, Elder G, Baron E, Herard P
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Orthopaedic surgery in natural disaster and conflict settings: how can quality care be ensured?
- Authors: Alvarado O, Trelles M, Tayler-Smith K, Joseph H, Gesline R, Wilna TE, Mohammad Omar MK, Faiz Mohammad NM, Muhima Mastaki J, Chingumwa Buhu R, Caluwaerts A, Dominguez L
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- External fixators and sudden-onset disasters: Médecins Sans Frontières experience.
- Authors: Boillot F, Herard P
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Management of severe open tibial fractures: the need for combined orthopaedic and plastic surgical treatment in specialist centres.
- Authors: Naique SB, Pearse M, Nanchahal J
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Fix and flap: the radical orthopaedic and plastic treatment of severe open fractures of the tibia.
- Authors: Gopal S, Majumder S, Batchelor AG, Knight SL, De Boer P, Smith RM
- Issue date: 2000 Sep