Comparison of Self-Reported Alcohol Consumption to Phosphatidylethanol Measurement among HIV-Infected Patients Initiating Antiretroviral Treatment in Southwestern Uganda
Haberer, Jessica E
Martin, Jeffrey N
Bangsberg, David R
Hahn, Judith A
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAlcohol consumption among HIV-infected patients may accelerate HIV disease progression or reduce antiretroviral therapy adherence. Self-reported alcohol use is frequently under-reported due to social desirability and recall bias. The aim of this study was to compare self-reported alcohol consumption to phosphatidylethanol (PEth), a biomarker of alcohol consumption, and to estimate the correlation between multiple measures of self-reported alcohol consumption with PEth.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Phosphatidylethanol confirmed alcohol use among ART-naïve HIV-infected persons who denied consumption in rural Uganda.
- Authors: Muyindike WR, Lloyd-Travaglini C, Fatch R, Emenyonu NI, Adong J, Ngabirano C, Cheng DM, Winter MR, Samet JH, Hahn JA
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Phosphatidylethanol (PEth) as a biomarker of alcohol consumption in HIV-positive patients in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Hahn JA, Dobkin LM, Mayanja B, Emenyonu NI, Kigozi IM, Shiboski S, Bangsberg DR, Gnann H, Weinmann W, Wurst FM
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Comparison of Traditional and Novel Self-Report Measures to an Alcohol Biomarker for Quantifying Alcohol Consumption Among HIV-Infected Adults in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Asiimwe SB, Fatch R, Emenyonu NI, Muyindike WR, Kekibiina A, Santos GM, Greenfield TK, Hahn JA
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Declining and rebounding unhealthy alcohol consumption during the first year of HIV care in rural Uganda, using phosphatidylethanol to augment self-report.
- Authors: Hahn JA, Emenyonu NI, Fatch R, Muyindike WR, Kekiibina A, Carrico AW, Woolf-King S, Shiboski S
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Associations Between the Phosphatidylethanol Alcohol Biomarker and Self-Reported Alcohol Use in a Sample of HIV-Infected Outpatient Drinkers in Western Kenya.
- Authors: Papas RK, Gakinya BN, Mwaniki MM, Keter AK, Lee H, Loxley MP, Klein DA, Sidle JE, Martino S, Baliddawa JB, Schlaudt KL, Maisto SA
- Issue date: 2016 Aug