Malaria PCR Detection in Cambodian Low-Transmission Settings: Dried Blood Spots Versus Venous Blood Samples
Char, Meng Chuor
De Smet, Martin
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the context of malaria elimination, novel strategies for detecting very low malaria parasite densities in asymptomatic individuals are needed. One of the major limitations of the malaria parasite detection methods is the volume of blood samples being analyzed. The objective of the study was to compare the diagnostic accuracy of a malaria polymerase chain reaction assay, from dried blood spots (DBS, 5 μL) and different volumes of venous blood (50 μL, 200 μL, and 1 mL). The limit of detection of the polymerase chain reaction assay, using calibrated Plasmodium falciparum blood dilutions, showed that venous blood samples (50 μL, 200 μL, 1 mL) combined with Qiagen extraction methods gave a similar threshold of 100 parasites/mL, ∼100-fold lower than 5 μL DBS/Instagene method. On a set of 521 field samples, collected in two different transmission areas in northern Cambodia, no significant difference in the proportion of parasite carriers, regardless of the methods used was found. The 5 μL DBS method missed 27% of the samples detected by the 1 mL venous blood method, but most of the missed parasites carriers were infected by Plasmodium vivax (84%). The remaining missed P. falciparum parasite carriers (N = 3) were only detected in high-transmission areas.
- A novel method for extracting nucleic acids from dried blood spots for ultrasensitive detection of low-density Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax infections.
- Authors: Zainabadi K, Adams M, Han ZY, Lwin HW, Han KT, Ouattara A, Thura S, Plowe CV, Nyunt MM
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 18
- A nested real-time PCR assay for the quantification of Plasmodium falciparum DNA extracted from dried blood spots.
- Authors: Tran TM, Aghili A, Li S, Ongoiba A, Kayentao K, Doumbo S, Traore B, Crompton PD
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 4
- A large proportion of asymptomatic Plasmodium infections with low and sub-microscopic parasite densities in the low transmission setting of Temotu Province, Solomon Islands: challenges for malaria diagnostics in an elimination setting.
- Authors: Harris I, Sharrock WW, Bain LM, Gray KA, Bobogare A, Boaz L, Lilley K, Krause D, Vallely A, Johnson ML, Gatton ML, Shanks GD, Cheng Q
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 7
- A novel real-time PCR assay for the detection of Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax malaria in low parasitized individuals.
- Authors: Hwang SY, Kim SH, Lee GY, Hang VT, Moon CS, Shin JH, Koo WL, Kim SY, Park HJ, Park HO, Kho WG
- Issue date: 2011 Oct-Nov
- Capture and Ligation Probe-PCR (CLIP-PCR) for Molecular Screening, with Application to Active Malaria Surveillance for Elimination.
- Authors: Cheng Z, Wang D, Tian X, Sun Y, Sun X, Xiao N, Zheng Z
- Issue date: 2015 Jun