International meeting: New diagnostic tests are urgently needed to treat patients with Chagas disease.
AffiliationCampaign for Access to Essential Medicines, Médecins Sans Frontières
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTrypanosoma cruzi infection is often not detected early on or actively diagnosed, partly because most infected individuals are either asymptomatic or oligosymptomatic. Moreover, in most places, neither blood banks nor healthcare units offer diagnostic confirmation or treatment access. By the time patients present clinical manifestations of advanced chronic Chagas disease, specific treatment with current drugs usually has limited effectiveness. Better-quality serological assays are urgently needed, especially rapid diagnostic tests for diagnosis patients in both acute and chronic phases, as well as for confirming that a parasitological cure has been achieved. Some new antigen combinations look promising and it is important to assess which ones are potentially the best, together with their requirements in terms of investigation and development. In August 2007, a group of specialized researchers and healthcare professionals met to discuss the state of Chagas infection diagnosis and to build a consensus for a plan of action to develop efficient, affordable, accessible and easy-to-use diagnostic tests for Chagas disease. This technical report presents the conclusions from that meeting.
- Inconclusive results in conventional serological screening for Chagas' disease in blood banks: evaluation of cellular and humoral response.
- Authors: Furuchó CR, Umezawa ES, Almeida I, Freitas VL, Bezerra R, Nunes EV, Sanches MC, Guastini CM, Teixeira AR, Shikanai-Yasuda MA
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- False-positive results of a rapid K39-based strip test and Chagas disease.
- Authors: Amato Neto V, Amato VS, Tuon FF, Gakiya E, de Marchi CR, de Souza RM, Furucho CR
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- [Part V. Laboratory diagnosis of Chagas disease].
- Authors: Apt B W, Heitmann G I, Jercic L MI, Jofré M L, Muñoz C Del V P, Noemí H I, San Martín V AM, Sapunar P J, Torres H M, Zulantay A I
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Use of the EIE-recombinant-Chagas-biomanguinhos kit to monitor cure of human Chagas' disease.
- Authors: Silva ED, Pereira VR, Gomes JA, Lorena VM, Cançado JR, Ferreira AG, Krieger MA, Goldenberg S, Correa-Oliveira R, Gomes YM
- Issue date: 2002
- Comparison of two immunochromatographic assays and the indirect immunofluorescence antibody test for diagnosis of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in dogs in south central Louisiana.
- Authors: Nieto PD, Boughton R, Dorn PL, Steurer F, Raychaudhuri S, Esfandiari J, Gonçalves E, Diaz J, Malone JB
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 12