Spatial targeted vector control is able to reduce malaria prevalence in the highlands of Burundi.
AffiliationDepartment of Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a highland province of Burundi, indoor residual spraying and long-lasting insecticidal net distribution were targeted in the valley, aiming also to protect the population living on the hilltops. The impact on malaria indicators was assessed, and the potential additional effect of nets evaluated. After the intervention--and compared with the control valleys--children 1-9 years old in the treated valleys had lower risks of malaria infection (odds ratio, OR: 0.55), high parasite density (OR: 0.48), and clinical malaria (OR: 0.57). The impact on malaria prevalence was even higher in infants (OR: 0.14). Using nets did not confer an additional protective effect to spraying. Targeted vector control had a major impact on malaria in the high-risk valleys but not in the less-exposed hilltops. Investment in targeted and regular control measures associated with effective case management should be able to control malaria in the highlands.
- Spatial targeted vector control in the highlands of Burundi and its impact on malaria transmission.
- Authors: Protopopoff N, Van Bortel W, Marcotty T, Van Herp M, Maes P, Baza D, D'Alessandro U, Coosemans M
- Issue date: 2007 Dec 3
- Deltamethrin treated bednets for control of malaria transmitted by Anopheles culicifacies (Diptera: Culicidae) in India.
- Authors: Yadav RS, Sampath RR, Sharma VP
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Do bednets reduce malaria transmission by exophagic mosquitoes?
- Authors: Charlwood JD, Alcântara J, Pinto J, Sousa CA, Rompão H, Gil V, Rosário VE
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- House design modifications reduce indoor resting malaria vector densities in rice irrigation scheme area in western Kenya.
- Authors: Atieli H, Menya D, Githeko A, Scott T
- Issue date: 2009 May 19
- [Mosquito-net spraying with deltamethrin for malaria control].
- Authors: Yang J, Liu G, Yang X, Wu L, Zhu W, Hu D, Liu Y, Xiong Y, Yan K, Wu Z
- Issue date: 1990