Treatment outcome of patients with smear-negative and smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis in the National Tuberculosis Control Programme, Malawi.
AffiliationNational Tuberculosis Control Programme, Community Health Science Unit, Lilongwe, Malawi. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNational tuberculosis control programmes (NTPs) in sub-Saharan Africa do not routinely record or report treatment outcome data on smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis (PTB) patients. Twelve-month treatment outcome on patients with smear-negative PTB registered in all district and mission hospitals in Malawi during the year 1995 was collected, and was compared with 8-month treatment outcome in smear-positive PTB patients registered during the same period. Of 4240 patients with smear-negative PTB, 35% completed treatment, 25% died, 9% defaulted and 7% were transferred to another district with no treatment outcome results available. In 24% of patients treatment cards were lost and treatment outcome was unknown. These results were significantly inferior to those obtained in 4003 patients with smear-positive PTB in whom 72% completed treatment, 20% died, 4% defaulted, 2% were transferred and 1% had positive smears at the end of treatment. These differences between patients with smear-negative and smear-positive PTB were similar when analysed by sex and by most age-groups. Higher mortality rates in patients with smear-negative PTB are probably attributable to advanced HIV-related immunosuppression, and higher default and treatment unknown rates probably reflect the lack of attention paid by TB programme staff to this group of patients. As a result of this country-wide study the Malawi NTP has started to record routinely the treatment outcomes of smear-negative TB patients and has set treatment completion targets of 50% or higher for this group of patients.
- Childhood tuberculosis in Malawi: nationwide case-finding and treatment outcomes.
- Authors: Harries AD, Hargreaves NJ, Graham SM, Mwansambo C, Kazembe P, Broadhead RL, Maher D, Salaniponi FM
- Issue date: 2002 May
- Treatment outcome of an unselected cohort of tuberculosis patients in relation to human immunodeficiency virus serostatus in Zomba Hospital, Malawi.
- Authors: Harries AD, Nyangulu DS, Kang'ombe C, Ndalama D, Glynn JR, Banda H, Wirima JJ, Salaniponi FM, Liomba G, Maher D, Nunn P
- Issue date: 1998 May-Jun
- High mortality rates in tuberculosis patients in Zomba Hospital, Malawi, during 32 months of follow-up.
- Authors: Kang'ombe C, Harries AD, Banda H, Nyangulu DS, Whitty CJ, Salaniponi FM, Maher D, Nunn P
- Issue date: 2000 May-Jun
- Mortality rates and recurrent rates of tuberculosis in patients with smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis and tuberculous pleural effusion who have completed treatment.
- Authors: Banda H, Kang'ombe C, Harries AD, Nyangulu DS, Whitty CJ, Wirima JJ, Salaniponi FM, Maher D, Nunn P
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- National profile and treatment outcomes of adult smear-negative pulmonary TB patients in Benin.
- Authors: Ade S, Harries AD, Trébucq A, Hinderaker SG, Adè G, Agodokpessi G, Affolabi D, Anagonou S
- Issue date: 2013 Dec