The Medecins Sans Frontieres intervention in the Marburg hemorrhagic fever epidemic, Uige, Angola, 2005. II. lessons learned in the community.
Palma, P P
de la Rosa, O
AffiliationMedecins Sans Frontieres, Barcelona, CP 08001, Spain. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Infectious Diseases
AbstractFrom 27 March 2005 onwards, the independent humanitarian medical aid agency Medecins Sans Frontieres, together with the World Health Organization, the Angolan Ministry of Health, and others, responded to the Marburg hemorrhagic fever (MHF) outbreak in Uige, Angola, to contain the epidemic and care for those infected. This response included community epidemiological surveillance, clinical assessment and isolation of patients with MHF, safe burials and disinfection, home-based risk reduction, peripheral health facility support, psychosocial support, and information and education campaigns. Lessons were learned during the implementation of each outbreak control component, and the subsequent modifications of protocols and strategies are discussed. Similar to what was seen in previous filovirus hemorrhagic fever outbreaks, the containment of the MHF epidemic depended on the collaboration of the affected community. Actively involving all stakeholders from the start of the outbreak response is crucial.
- The Medecins Sans Frontieres intervention in the Marburg hemorrhagic fever epidemic, Uige, Angola, 2005. I. Lessons learned in the hospital.
- Authors: Jeffs B, Roddy P, Weatherill D, de la Rosa O, Dorion C, Iscla M, Grovas I, Palma PP, Villa L, Bernal O, Rodriguez-Martinez J, Barcelo B, Pou D, Borchert M
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 15
- Decreased peripheral health service utilisation during an outbreak of Marburg haemorrhagic fever, Uíge, Angola, 2005.
- Authors: Roddy P, Marchiol A, Jeffs B, Palma PP, Bernal O, de la Rosa O, Borchert M
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- [Marburg haemorrhagic fever in Angola, 2005].
- Authors: Harboe ZB, Qureshi KM, Skinhøj P, Heegaard ED
- Issue date: 2005 Oct 24
- Outbreak of Marburg virus hemorrhagic fever--Angola, October 1, 2004-March 29, 2005.
- Authors: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 1
- Organisation of health care during an outbreak of Marburg haemorrhagic fever in the Democratic Republic of Congo, 1999.
- Authors: Colebunders R, Sleurs H, Pirard P, Borchert M, Libande M, Mustin JP, Tshomba A, Kinuani L, Olinda LA, Tshioko F, Muyembe-Tamfum JJ
- Issue date: 2004 May