Monitoring the response to antiretroviral therapy in resource-poor settings: the Malawi model.
AuthorsHarries, A D
de Teck, O
AffiliationNational Tuberculosis Control Programme, Ministry of Health and Population, P.O. Box 30377, Lilongwe, Malawi. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWith assistance from the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM), Malawi is scaling-up the delivery of antiretroviral (ARV) therapy to HIV-positive eligible patients. The country has developed National ARV Treatment Guidelines, which emphasize a structured and standardized approach for all aspects of ARV delivery, including monitoring and evaluation. Using the successful DOTS model adapted by National TB Control Programmes throughout the world, Malawi has developed a system of quarterly ARV cohort and cumulative ARV quarterly analyses. Thyolo district, in the southern region of Malawi, has been using this system since April 2003. This paper describes the standardized ARV treatment regimens and the treatment outcomes used in Thyolo to assess the impact of treatment, the registration and monitoring systems and how the cohort analyses are carried out. Data are presented for case registration and treatment outcome for the first quarterly cohort (April to June) and the combined cohorts (April to June and July to September). Such quarterly analyses may be useful for districts and Ministries of Health in assessing ARV delivery, although the burden of work involved in calculating the numbers may become large once ARV delivery systems have been established for several years.
- Assessment of a national monitoring and evaluation system for rapid expansion of antiretroviral treatment in Malawi.
- Authors: Lowrance D, Filler S, Makombe S, Harries A, Aberle-Grasse J, Hochgesang M, Libamba E
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Scaling up antiretroviral therapy in Africa: learning from tuberculosis control programmes--the case of Malawi.
- Authors: Libamba E, Makombe S, Harries AD, Chimzizi R, Salaniponi FM, Schouten EJ, Mpazanje R
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Can we get more HIV-positive tuberculosis patients on antiretroviral treatment in a rural district of Malawi?
- Authors: Zachariah R, Teck R, Ascurra O, Gomani P, Manzi M, Humblet P, Nunn P, Salaniponi FM, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Voluntary counselling, HIV testing and adjunctive cotrimoxazole are associated with improved TB treatment outcomes under routine conditions in Thyolo District, Malawi.
- Authors: Chimzizi R, Gausi F, Bwanali A, Mbalume D, Teck R, Gomani P, Zachariah R, Zuza W, Malombe R, Salaniponi FM, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2004 May