Human resources for control of tuberculosis and HIV-associated tuberculosis.
AffiliationNational Tuberculosis Control Programme, Lilongwe, Malawi. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
JournalThe International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease : the official journal of the International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
AbstractThe global targets for tuberculosis (TB) control were postponed from 2000 to 2005, but on current evidence a further postponement may be necessary. Of the constraints preventing these targets being met, the primary one appears to be the lack of adequately trained and qualified staff. This paper outlines: 1) the human resources and skills for global TB and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) TB control, including the human resources for implementing the DOTS strategy, the additional human resources for implementing joint HIV-TB control strategies and what is known about human resource gaps at global level; 2) the attempts to quantify human resource gaps by focusing on a small country in sub-Saharan Africa, Malawi; and 3) the main constraints to human resources and their possible solutions, under six main headings: human resource planning; production of human resources; distribution of the work-force; motivation and staff retention; quality of existing staff; and the effect of HIV/AIDS. We recommend an urgent shift in thinking about the human resource paradigm, and exhort international policy makers and the donor community to make a concerted effort to bridge the current gaps by investing for real change.
- Tuberculosis and HIV interaction in sub-Saharan Africa: impact on patients and programmes; implications for policies.
- Authors: Maher D, Harries A, Getahun H
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Tuberculosis and HIV infection: the global setting.
- Authors: Nunn P, Reid A, De Cock KM
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 15
- DOTS expansion: will we reach the 2005 targets?
- Authors: Véron LJ, Blanc LJ, Suchi M, Raviglione MC
- Issue date: 2004 Jan
- Implementing joint TB and HIV interventions in a rural district of Malawi: is there a role for an international non-governmental organisation?
- Authors: Zachariah R, Teck R, Harries AD, Humblet P
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- [Development of antituberculous drugs: current status and future prospects].
- Authors: Tomioka H, Namba K
- Issue date: 2006 Dec