Rapid culture-based methods for drug-resistance detection in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
AffiliationMycobacteriology Unit, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nationalestraat 155, 2000 Antwerp, Belgium.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTuberculosis still represents a major public health problem, especially in low-resource countries where the burden of the disease is more important. Multidrug-resistant and extensively drug drug-resistant tuberculosis constitute serious problems for the efficient control of the disease stressing the need to investigate resistance to first- and second-line drugs. Conventional methods for detecting drug-resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis are slow and cumbersome. The most commonly used proportion method on Löwenstein-Jensen medium or Middlebrook agar requires a minimum of 3-4 weeks to produce results. Several new approaches have been proposed in the last years for the rapid and timely detection of drug-resistance in tuberculosis. This review will address phenotypic culture-based methods for rapid drug susceptibility testing in M. tuberculosis.
- Rapid detection of rifampicin and isoniazid resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis by the direct thin-layer agar method.
- Authors: Robledo J, Mejia GI, Paniagua L, Martin A, Guzmán A
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Mycobacterial growth indicator tube versus the proportion method on Löwenstein-Jensen medium for antibiotic susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Authors: Cambau E, Truffot-Pernot C, Boulahbal F, Wichlacz C, Grosset J, Jarlier V
- Issue date: 2000 Dec
- Evaluation of a modified antimycobacterial susceptibility test using Middlebrook 7H10 agar containing 2,3-diphenyl-5-thienyl-(2)-tetrazolium chloride.
- Authors: Lee S, Kong DH, Yun SH, Lee KR, Lee KP, Franzblau SG, Lee EY, Chang CL
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Rapid and simple MTT method for rifampicin and isoniazid susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Authors: Foongladda S, Roengsanthia D, Arjrattanakool W, Chuchottaworn C, Chaiprasert A, Franzblau SG
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- [Evaluation of the BACTEC MGIT 960 system for drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates compared with the proportion method on solid media].
- Authors: Abe C, Aono A, Hirano K
- Issue date: 2001 Oct