HIV and other sexually transmitted infections among female sex workers in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo, in 2002.
AuthorsVandepitte, J M
Kivuvu, D M
Van Overloop, C
AffiliationInstitute of Tropical Medicine, STD/HIV Research & Intervention Unit, Antwerp, Belgium. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
JournalSexually Transmitted Diseases
AbstractOBJECTIVE: The objective of this study was to determine the prevalence and risk factors of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) among female sex workers (FSWs) in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, in 2002. STUDY DESIGN: A cross-sectional study was conducted among FSWs presenting for the first time at the STI clinic of Matonge, Kinshasa. The women were interviewed about sociodemographic characteristics, type of sex work, and sexual behavior. Blood was taken for HIV, syphilis, and herpes simplex virus type 2 serology. Vaginal secretions were collected on swabs for the diagnosis of gonorrhea, chlamydia, and trichomoniasis. RESULTS: The overall HIV prevalence was 12.4% but varied within the different categories of FSWs: 11.8% in hotel-based, 24.0% in home-based, and 20.0% in street-based FSWs; 10.0% in homeless FSWs; and 6.6% in Masquées (clandestine sex workers). The overall herpes simplex virus type 2 seroprevalence was 58.5%. CONCLUSIONS: The prevalence of HIV and other STIs seems to have stabilized since the beginning of the project in 1988.
- The prevalence of human immunodeficiency virus and sexually transmitted infections among female sex workers in Shiraz, South of Iran: by respondent-driven sampling.
- Authors: Kazerooni PA, Motazedian N, Motamedifar M, Sayadi M, Sabet M, Lari MA, Kamali K
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Prevalences of sexually transmitted infections in young adults and female sex workers in Peru: a national population-based survey.
- Authors: Cárcamo CP, Campos PE, García PJ, Hughes JP, Garnett GP, Holmes KK, Peru PREVEN study team.
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Prevalence of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections among female commercial sex workers in Argentina.
- Authors: Pando MA, Berini C, Bibini M, Fernández M, Reinaga E, Maulen S, Marone R, Biglione M, Montano SM, Bautista CT, Weissenbacher M, Sanchez JL, Avila MM
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- HIV and STIs in clients and female sex workers in mining regions of Gejiu City, China.
- Authors: Xu JJ, Wang N, Lu L, Pu Y, Zhang GL, Wong M, Wu ZL, Zheng XW
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- High prevalence of sexually transmitted infections among female sex workers in the eastern highlands province of Papua New Guinea: correlates and recommendations.
- Authors: Gare J, Lupiwa T, Suarkia DL, Paniu MM, Wahasoka A, Nivia H, Kono J, Yeka W, Reeder JC, Mgone CS
- Issue date: 2005 Aug