Rapid detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis resistance to second-line drugs by use of the manual mycobacterium growth indicator tube system.
AffiliationMycobacteriology Unit, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
JournalJournal of Clinical Microbiology
AbstractThe objective of this study was to evaluate the manual mycobacterium growth indicator tube (MGIT) system for the testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis susceptibility to second-line drugs compared to the proportion method. One hundred eighty-eight M. tuberculosis isolates were tested for susceptibility to ofloxacin, kanamycin, ethionamide, and capreomycin by the manual MGIT, and results were compared to those obtained with the proportion method on 7H11 agar, considered a reference method. Results for ofloxacin and capreomycin were excellent, with 100% accuracy, and a result of 99.4% accuracy was achieved for kanamycin. For ethionamide, accuracy was lower, with a result of 86.7% compared to that of the proportion method. We proposed the following critical concentrations for the drugs: for ofloxacin, 2.0 microg/ml; for kanamycin, 2.5 microg/ml; for ethionamide, 5 microg/ml; and for capreomycin, 2.5 microg/ml. The time required to obtain results was an average of 8 days by the manual MGIT and 3 weeks by the reference method. Our results show that the manual MGIT is an accurate method for the rapid susceptibility testing of M. tuberculosis to second-line drugs. There is no need for a machine when using the manual MGIT, and results can be read with a simple UV lamp or with a semiquantitative reader, which considerably reduces the cost of the method.
- Drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis against second-line drugs using the Bactec MGIT 960 System.
- Authors: Rodrigues C, Jani J, Shenai S, Thakkar P, Siddiqi S, Mehta A
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Antimicrobial susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to first-line drugs: comparisons of the MGIT 960 and BACTEC 460 systems.
- Authors: Huang TS, Tu HZ, Lee SS, Huang WK, Liu YC
- Issue date: 2002 Spring
- Evaluation of Mycobacteria Growth Indicator Tube (MGIT) for drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Authors: Palomino JC, Traore H, Fissette K, Portaels F
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Multicenter evaluation of Bactec MGIT 960 system for second-line drug susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex.
- Authors: Lin SY, Desmond E, Bonato D, Gross W, Siddiqi S
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Use of MGIT 960 for rapid quantitative measurement of the susceptibility of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex to ciprofloxacin and ethionamide.
- Authors: Huang TS, Lee SS, Tu HZ, Huang WK, Chen YS, Huang CK, Wann SR, Lin HH, Liu YC
- Issue date: 2004 Apr