Implementation of a comprehensive program including psycho-social and treatment literacy activities to improve adherence to HIV care and treatment for a pediatric population in Kenya.
AffiliationOperational Cell Belgium, Médecins Sans Frontières, Nairobi, Kenya. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: To achieve good clinical outcomes with HAART, patient adherence to treatment and care is a key factor. Since the literature on how to care for pediatric HIV patients is limited, we describe here adherence interventions implemented in our comprehensive care program in a resource-limited setting in Kenya. METHODS: We based our program on factors reported to influence adherence to HIV care and treatment. We describe, in detail, our program with respect to how we adapted our clinical settings, implemented psycho-social support activities for children and their caregivers and developed treatment literacy for children and teenagers living with HIV/AIDS. RESULTS: This paper focused on the details of the program, with the treatment outcomes as secondary. However, our program appeared to have been effective; for 648 children under 15 years of age who were started on HAART, the Kaplan-Meier mortality survival estimate was 95.27% (95%CI 93.16-96.74) at 12 months after the time of initiation of HAART. CONCLUSION: Our model of pediatric HIV/AIDS care, focused on a child-centered approach with inclusion of caregivers and extended family, addressed the main factors influencing treatment adherence. It appeared to produce good results and is replicable in resource-limited settings.
- Adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy and its correlates among HIV infected pediatric patients in Ethiopia.
- Authors: Biadgilign S, Deribew A, Amberbir A, Deribe K
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 6
- Preliminary outcomes of a paediatric highly active antiretroviral therapy cohort from KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
- Authors: Reddi A, Leeper SC, Grobler AC, Geddes R, France KH, Dorse GL, Vlok WJ, Mntambo M, Thomas M, Nixon K, Holst HL, Karim QA, Rollins NC, Coovadia HM, Giddy J
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 17
- Factors associated with adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy among children in two referral hospitals, northwest Ethiopia.
- Authors: Azmeraw D, Wasie B
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Overview and implementation of an intervention to prevent adherence failure among HIV-infected adults initiating antiretroviral therapy: lessons learned from Project HEART.
- Authors: Davies G, Koenig LJ, Stratford D, Palmore M, Bush T, Golde M, Malatino E, Todd-Turner M, Ellerbrock TV
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Initiating highly active antiretroviral therapy and continuity of HIV care: the impact of incarceration and prison release on adherence and HIV treatment outcomes.
- Authors: Palepu A, Tyndall MW, Chan K, Wood E, Montaner JS, Hogg RS
- Issue date: 2004 Oct