Optimisation of the T-square sampling method to estimate population sizes.
AffiliationDepartment of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT, UK. Kristof.Bostoen@lshtm.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEmerging Themes in Epidemiology
AbstractPopulation size and density estimates are needed to plan resource requirements and plan health related interventions. Sampling frames are not always available necessitating surveys using non-standard household sampling methods. These surveys are time-consuming, difficult to validate, and their implementation could be optimised. Here, we discuss an example of an optimisation procedure for rapid population estimation using T-Square sampling which has been used recently to estimate population sizes in emergencies. A two-stage process was proposed to optimise the T-Square method wherein the first stage optimises the sample size and the second stage optimises the pathway connecting the sampling points. The proposed procedure yields an optimal solution if the distribution of households is described by a spatially homogeneous Poisson process and can be sub-optimal otherwise. This research provides the first step in exploring how optimisation techniques could be applied to survey designs thereby providing more timely and accurate information for planning interventions.
- Developing a representative community health survey sampling frame using open-source remote satellite imagery in Mozambique.
- Authors: Wagenaar BH, Augusto O, Ásbjörnsdóttir K, Akullian A, Manaca N, Chale F, Muanido A, Covele A, Michel C, Gimbel S, Radford T, Girardot B, Sherr K, with input from the INCOMAS Study Team.
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 29
- A simulation framework for evaluating multi-stage sampling designs in populations with spatially structured traits.
- Authors: Puerta P, Ciannelli L, Johnson B
- Issue date: 2019
- Lot quality assurance sampling (LQAS) for monitoring a leprosy elimination program.
- Authors: Gupte MD, Narasimhamurthy B
- Issue date: 1999 Jun
- Lot quality assurance sampling techniques in health surveys in developing countries: advantages and current constraints.
- Authors: Lanata CF, Black RE
- Issue date: 1991
- [Selection within households in health surveys].
- Authors: Alves MC, Escuder MM, Claro RM, Silva NN
- Issue date: 2014 Feb