Personal Protective Equipment for Filovirus Epidemics: A Call for Better Evidence
AuthorsSprecher, Armand G
Frey, Clifford P
Funk, Renée H
Le Duc, James W
Williams, Warren Jon
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPersonal protective equipment (PPE) is an important part of worker protection during filovirus outbreaks. The need to protect against a highly virulent fluid-borne pathogen in the tropical environment imposes a heat stress on the wearer that is itself a safety risk. No evidence supports the choice of PPE employed in recent outbreaks, and standard testing procedures employed by the protective garment industry do not well simulate filovirus exposure. Further research is needed to determine the appropriate PPE for filoviruses and the heat stress that it imposes.
PublisherOxford University Press
- Outbreaks of filovirus hemorrhagic fever: time to refocus on the patient.
- Authors: Bausch DG, Feldmann H, Geisbert TW, Bray M, Sprecher AG, Boumandouki P, Rollin PE, Roth C, Winnipeg Filovirus Clinical Working Group.
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 15
- Filoviruses: One of These Things is (not) Like the Other.
- Authors: Anthony SM, Bradfute SB
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 29
- "Filoviruses": a real pandemic threat?
- Authors: Martina BE, Osterhaus AD
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Filovirus infections.
- Authors: Warfield KL, Deal EM, Bavari S
- Issue date: 2009 May 1
- Authors: Takada A
- Issue date: 2012