Access to healthcare for the most vulnerable migrants: a humanitarian crisis
Martin, Jorge Pedro
Biorklund, Linn Maria
MetadataShow full item record
JournalConflict and Health
AbstractA series of Médecins Sans Frontières projects for irregular migrants over the past decade have consistently documented high rates of 14 physical and sexual trauma, extortion and mental illness amidst severe healthcare, food, and housing limitations. Complex interventions were needed to begin to address illness and barriers to healthcare and to help restore dignity to the most vulnerable women, children and men. Promising interventions included mobile clinics, use of cultural mediators, coordination with migrant-friendly entities and NGOs and integrating advocacy programs and mental health care with medical services. Ongoing interventions, research and coordination are needed to address this neglected humanitarian crisis.
PublisherBioMed Central (Springer Science)
- A crisis of protection and safe passage: violence experienced by migrants/refugees travelling along the Western Balkan corridor to Northern Europe.
- Authors: Arsenijević J, Schillberg E, Ponthieu A, Malvisi L, Ahmed WAE, Argenziano S, Zamatto F, Burroughs S, Severy N, Hebting C, de Vingne B, Harries AD, Zachariah R
- Issue date: 2017
- National Health Service Principles as Experienced by Vulnerable London Migrants in "Austerity Britain": A Qualitative Study of Rights, Entitlements, and Civil-Society Advocacy.
- Authors: Rafighi E, Poduval S, Legido-Quigley H, Howard N
- Issue date: 2016 May 8
- Gender disparities and psychological distress among humanitarian migrants in Australia: a moderating role of migration pathway?
- Authors: Jarallah Y, Baxter J
- Issue date: 2019
- Oral healthcare experiences of humanitarian migrants in Montreal, Canada.
- Authors: Keboa MT, Hovey R, Nicolau B, Esfandiari S, Carnevale F, Macdonald ME
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 8
- A study of HIV positive undocumented African migrants' access to health services in the UK.
- Authors: Whyte J, Whyte MD, Hires K
- Issue date: 2015