Challenges in the management of disseminated progressive histoplasmosis in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients in resource-limited settings
AuthorsMurphy, Richard A
Manzini, Thandekile C
Ramdial, Pratistadevi K
Moosa, Mahomed-Yunus S
MetadataShow full item record
JournalOpen Forum Infectious Diseases
AbstractThe diagnosis of histoplasmosis in patients with human immunodeficiency virus in southern Africa is complicated by the nonspecific presentation of the disease in this patient group and the unavailability of sensitive diagnostics including antigen assays. Treatment options are also limited due to the unavailability of liposomal amphotericin and itraconazole, and the inability to perform therapeutic drug monitoring further confounds management. We present 3 clinical cases to illustrate the limits of diagnosis and management in the southern African context, and we highlight the need for additional diagnostic tools and treatment options in resource-limited settings.
PublisherOxford University Press
- Clearance of fungal burden during treatment of disseminated histoplasmosis with liposomal amphotericin B versus itraconazole.
- Authors: Wheat LJ, Cloud G, Johnson PC, Connolly P, Goldman M, Le Monte A, Fuller DE, Davis TE, Hafner R, AIDS Clinical Trials Group., Mycoses Study Group of NIAID.
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Disseminated Histoplasmosis in HIV-Infected Patients: A Description of 34 Years of Clinical and Therapeutic Practice.
- Authors: Nacher M, Valdes A, Adenis A, Blaizot R, Abboud P, Demar M, Djossou F, Epelboin L, Misslin C, Ntab B, Drak Alsibai K, Couppié P
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 7
- Itraconazole treatment of disseminated histoplasmosis in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. AIDS Clinical Trial Group.
- Authors: Wheat J, Hafner R, Korzun AH, Limjoco MT, Spencer P, Larsen RA, Hecht FM, Powderly W
- Issue date: 1995 Apr
- [African histoplasmosis due to Histoplasma capsulatum var. duboisii: relationship with AIDS in recent Congolese cases].
- Authors: Chandenier J, Goma D, Moyen G, Samba-Lefèbvre MC, Nzingoula S, Obengui, Mbitsi A, Nkiwabonga L, Ngaporo AI
- Issue date: 1995 Jul-Aug
- Case of disseminated histoplasmosis in a HIV-infected patient revealed by nasal involvement with maxillary osteolysis.
- Authors: Lehur AC, Zielinski M, Pluvy J, Grégoire V, Diamantis S, Bleibtreu A, Rioux C, Picard A, Vallois D
- Issue date: 2017 May 5