Pre-emptive steroids for a severe oedematous Buruli ulcer lesion: a case report
JournalJournal of Medical Case Reports
AbstractSevere oedematous forms of Buruli ulcer (BU) often result in extensive tissue destruction, even with the institution of appropriate antibiotic treatment, leading to reconstructive surgery and long-term disability. We report a case of a patient with severe oedematous BU, which describes for the first time the pre-emptive use of prednisolone therapy commenced at the time of antibiotic initiation aimed at limiting the ongoing tissue destruction and its secondary sequelae.
- Clinical outcomes of Ghanaian Buruli ulcer patients who defaulted from antimicrobial therapy.
- Authors: Klis S, Kingma RA, Tuah W, van der Werf TS, Stienstra Y
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Outcome of Streptomycin-Rifampicin treatment of Buruli Ulcer in two Ghanaian districts.
- Authors: Iddrisah FN, Yeboah-Manu D, Nortey PA, Nyarko KM, Anim J, Antara SN, Kenu E, Wurapa F, Afari EA
- Issue date: 2016
- Severe multifocal form of buruli ulcer after streptomycin and rifampin treatment: comments on possible dissemination mechanisms.
- Authors: Sopoh GE, Dossou AD, Brun LV, Barogui YT, Houézo JG, Affolabi D, Anagonou SY, Johnson RC, Kestens L, Portaels F
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Clinical features and management of a severe paradoxical reaction associated with combined treatment of Buruli ulcer and HIV co-infection.
- Authors: Wanda F, Nkemenang P, Ehounou G, Tchaton M, Comte E, Toutous Trellu L, Masouyé I, Christinet V, O'Brien DP
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 30
- Management of BU-HIV co-infection.
- Authors: O'Brien DP, Ford N, Vitoria M, Christinet V, Comte E, Calmy A, Stienstra Y, Eholie S, Asiedu K
- Issue date: 2014 Sep