Accounting for False Positive HIV Tests: Is Visceral Leishmaniasis Responsible?
Siddiqui, M Ruby
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCo-infection with HIV and visceral leishmaniasis is an important consideration in treatment of either disease in endemic areas. Diagnosis of HIV in resource-limited settings relies on rapid diagnostic tests used together in an algorithm. A limitation of the HIV diagnostic algorithm is that it is vulnerable to falsely positive reactions due to cross reactivity. It has been postulated that visceral leishmaniasis (VL) infection can increase this risk of false positive HIV results. This cross sectional study compared the risk of false positive HIV results in VL patients with non-VL individuals.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Dilution testing using rapid diagnostic tests in a HIV diagnostic algorithm: a novel alternative for confirmation testing in resource limited settings.
- Authors: Shanks L, Siddiqui MR, Abebe A, Piriou E, Pearce N, Ariti C, Masiga J, Muluneh L, Wazome J, Ritmeijer K, Klarkowski D
- Issue date: 2015 May 14
- Evaluation of HIV testing algorithms in Ethiopia: the role of the tie-breaker algorithm and weakly reacting test lines in contributing to a high rate of false positive HIV diagnoses.
- Authors: Shanks L, Siddiqui MR, Kliescikova J, Pearce N, Ariti C, Muluneh L, Pirou E, Ritmeijer K, Masiga J, Abebe A
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 3
- The role of rk39 serologic test in the diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in a Tertiary Hospital, Northern Ethiopia.
- Authors: Kiros YK, Regassa BF
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 26
- Validation of two rapid diagnostic tests for visceral leishmaniasis in Kenya.
- Authors: Mbui J, Wasunna M, Balasegaram M, Laussermayer A, Juma R, Njenga SN, Kirigi G, Riongoita M, de la Tour R, van Peteghem J, Omollo R, Chappuis F
- Issue date: 2013
- Misdiagnosis of HIV infection during a South African community-based survey: implications for rapid HIV testing.
- Authors: Kufa T, Kharsany AB, Cawood C, Khanyile D, Lewis L, Grobler A, Chipeta Z, Bere A, Glenshaw M, Puren A
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 29