Diabetes Mellitus and Tuberculosis: Programmatic Management Issues
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn August 2011, the World Health Organization and the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease launched the Collaborative Framework for Care and Control of Tuberculosis (TB) and diabetes mellitus (DM) to guide policy makers and implementers in combatting the epidemics of both diseases. Progress has been made, and includes identifying how best to undertake bidirectional screening for both diseases, how to provide optimal treatment and care for patients with dual disease and the most suitable framework for monitoring and evaluation. Key programmatic challenges include the following: whether screening should be directed at all patients or targeted at those with high-risk characteristics; the most suitable technologies for diagnosing TB and diabetes in routine settings; the best time to screen TB patients for DM; how to provide an integrated, coordinated approach to case management; and finally, how to persuade non-communicable disease programmes to adopt a cohort analysis approach, preferably using electronic medical records, for monitoring and evaluation. The link between DM and TB and the implementation of the collaborative framework for care and control have the potential to stimulate and strengthen the scale-up of non-communicable disease care and prevention programmes, which may help in reducing not only the global burden of DM but also the global burden of TB.
- Addressing diabetes mellitus as part of the strategy for ending TB.
- Authors: Harries AD, Kumar AM, Satyanarayana S, Lin Y, Zachariah R, Lönnroth K, Kapur A
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- The double burden of diabetes and tuberculosis - public health implications.
- Authors: Kapur A, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- The looming epidemic of diabetes-associated tuberculosis: learning lessons from HIV-associated tuberculosis.
- Authors: Harries AD, Lin Y, Satyanarayana S, Lönnroth K, Li L, Wilson N, Chauhan LS, Zachariah R, Baker MA, Jeon CY, Murray MB, Maher D, Bygbjerg IC, Enarson DA, Billo NE, Kapur A
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Screening patients with diabetes mellitus for tuberculosis in China.
- Authors: Lin Y, Li L, Mi F, Du J, Dong Y, Li Z, Qi W, Zhao X, Cui Y, Hou F, Zachariah R, Kapur A, Lönnroth K, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Screening of patients with tuberculosis for diabetes mellitus in China.
- Authors: Li L, Lin Y, Mi F, Tan S, Liang B, Guo C, Shi L, Liu L, Gong F, Li Y, Chi J, Zachariah R, Kapur A, Lönnroth K, Harries AD
- Issue date: 2012 Oct