Towards Early Inclusion of Children in Tuberculosis Drugs Trials: A Consensus Statement
Becerra, M C
McNeeley, D F
Anyalechi, E G
Porcalla, A R
Schaaf, H S
MetadataShow full item record
JournalLancet Infectious Diseases
AbstractChildren younger than 18 years account for a substantial proportion of patients with tuberculosis worldwide. Available treatments for paediatric drug-susceptible and drug-resistant tuberculosis, albeit generally effective, are hampered by high pill burden, long duration of treatment, coexistent toxic effects, and an overall scarcity of suitable child-friendly formulations. Several new drugs and regimens with promising activity against both drug-susceptible and drug-resistant strains have entered clinical development and are either in various phases of clinical investigation or have received marketing authorisation for adults; however, none have data on their use in children. This consensus statement, generated from an international panel of opinion leaders on childhood tuberculosis and incorporating reviews of published literature from January, 2004, to May, 2014, addressed four key questions: what drugs or regimens should be prioritised for clinical trials in children? Which populations of children are high priorities for study? When can phase 1 or 2 studies be initiated in children? What are the relevant elements of clinical trial design? The consensus panel found that children can be included in studies at the early phases of drug development and should be an integral part of the clinical development plan, rather than studied after regulatory approval in adults is obtained.
- Antituberculosis drugs in children.
- Authors: Schaaf HS, Garcia-Prats AJ, Donald PR
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Management of paediatric tuberculosis in leading UK centres: unveiling consensus and discrepancies.
- Authors: Turkova A, Welch SB, Paton JY, Riordan A, Williams B, Patel SV, Clark JE, Bernatoniene J, Doerholt K, Child F, Walters S, Riddell A, Shingadia D, Liebeschuetz S, Kampmann B
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Pediatric tuberculosis: global overview and challenges.
- Authors: Swaminathan S, Rekha B
- Issue date: 2010 May 15
- Provisional CDC guidelines for the use and safety monitoring of bedaquiline fumarate (Sirturo) for the treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 25
- Baseline Predictors of Treatment Outcomes in Children With Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis: A Retrospective Cohort Study.
- Authors: Chiang SS, Starke JR, Miller AC, Cruz AT, Del Castillo H, Valdivia WJ, Tunque G, García F, Contreras C, Lecca L, Alarcón VA, Becerra MC
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 15