The Use of Ebola Convalescent Plasma to Treat Ebola Virus Disease in Resource Constrained Settings: A Perspective from the Field
Authorsvan Griensven, Johan
De Weiggheleire, Anja
Smith, Peter G
Ibrahima Bah, Elhadj
MetadataShow full item record
JournalClinical Infectious Diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America
AbstractThe clinical evaluation of convalescent plasma (CP) for the treatment of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in the current outbreak, predominantly affecting Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, was prioritized by the World Health Organization in September 2014. In each of these countries, non-randomized comparative clinical trials were initiated. The Ebola-Tx trial in Conakry, Guinea enrolled 102 patients by July 7, 2015; no severe adverse reactions were noted. The Ebola-CP trial in Sierra Leone and the EVD001 trial in Liberia have included few patients. While no efficacy data are available yet, current field experience supports the safety, acceptability and feasibility of CP as EVD treatment. Longer-term follow-up as well as data from non-trial settings and evidence on the scalability of the intervention are required. CP sourced from within the outbreak is the most readily available source of anti-EVD antibodies. Until the advent of effective antivirals or monoclonal antibodies, CP merits further evaluation.
PublisherOxford University Press
- Evaluation of Convalescent Plasma for Ebola Virus Disease in Guinea.
- Authors: van Griensven J, Edwards T, de Lamballerie X, Semple MG, Gallian P, Baize S, Horby PW, Raoul H, Magassouba N, Antierens A, Lomas C, Faye O, Sall AA, Fransen K, Buyze J, Ravinetto R, Tiberghien P, Claeys Y, De Crop M, Lynen L, Bah EI, Smith PG, Delamou A, De Weggheleire A, Haba N, Ebola-Tx Consortium.
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 7
- Evaluating large-scale blood transfusion therapy for the current Ebola epidemic in Liberia.
- Authors: Gutfraind A, Meyers LA
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 15
- The ongoing evolution of antibody-based treatments for Ebola virus infection.
- Authors: Mendoza EJ, Racine T, Kobinger GP
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Treatment of ebola virus disease.
- Authors: Kilgore PE, Grabenstein JD, Salim AM, Rybak M
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Organizing the Donation of Convalescent Plasma for a Therapeutic Clinical Trial on Ebola Virus Disease: The Experience in Guinea.
- Authors: Delamou A, Haba NY, Mari-Saez A, Gallian P, Ronse M, Jacobs J, Camara BS, Kadio KJO, Guemou A, Kolie JP, Crop M, Chavarin P, Jacquot C, Lazaygues C, Weggheleire A, Lynen L, van Griensven J
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 7