A First Country-Wide Review of Diabetes Mellitus Care in Bhutan: Time to Do Better
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Health Services Research
AbstractThere is an increasing trend of non-communicable diseases in Bhutan including Diabetes Mellitus (DM). To address this problem, a National Diabetes Control Programme was launched in 1996. There is anecdotal evidence that many patients do not visit the DM clinics regularly, but owing to lack of cohort monitoring, the magnitude of such attrition from care is unknown. Knowledge of the extent of this problem will provide a realistic assessment of the situation on the ground and would be helpful to initiate corrective actions. In this first country-wide audit, we thus aimed to determine among type 2 DM patients registered for care the i) pre-treatment attrition ii) one-year programme outcomes including retention in care, died and Lost-to-follow-up (LTFU, defined as not having visited the clinic at least once within a year of registration) iii) factors associated with attrition from care (death + LTFU) and iv) quality of follow-up care, measured by adherence to recommended patient-monitoring protocols including glycaemic control.
PublisherBMC Public Health
- Treatment of periodontal disease for glycaemic control in people with diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Simpson TC, Weldon JC, Worthington HV, Needleman I, Wild SH, Moles DR, Stevenson B, Furness S, Iheozor-Ejiofor Z
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 6
- Treatment outcomes in a cohort of Palestine refugees with diabetes mellitus followed through use of E-Health over 3 years in Jordan.
- Authors: Khader A, Ballout G, Shahin Y, Hababeh M, Farajallah L, Zeidan W, Abu-Zayed I, Kochi A, Harries AD, Zachariah R, Kapur A, Shaikh I, Seita A
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Validity of random blood glucose as a predictor of the quality of glycaemic control by glycated haemoglobin in out-patient diabetic patients at Kenyatta National Hospital.
- Authors: Otieno FC, Ng'ang'a L, Kariuki M
- Issue date: 2002 Sep
- Time and cost involved in the care of newly registered patients with diabetes mellitus and other lifestyle diseases at diabetes clinics in Japan (JDDM 4).
- Authors: Oishi M, Yokoyama H, Abe N, Iwasaki K, Okuguchi F, Kawai K, Sugimoto H, Takamura H, Takeda H, Doi K, Hirao K, Ikeda S
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Predictors of loss to follow up among patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus attending a private not for profit urban diabetes clinic in Uganda - a descriptive retrospective study.
- Authors: Tino S, Wekesa C, Kamacooko O, Makhoba A, Mwebaze R, Bengo S, Nabwato R, Kigongo A, Ddumba E, Mayanja BN, Kaleebu P, Newton R, Nyerinda M
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 23