Van Herp, M
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEmerging Infectious Diseases
AbstractTo determine whether 2 readily available indicators predicted survival among patients with Ebola virus disease in Sierra Leone, we evaluated information for 216 of the 227 patients in Bo District during a 4-month period. The indicators were time from symptom onset to healthcare facility admission and quantitative real-time reverse transcription PCR cycle threshold (Ct), a surrogate for viral load, in first Ebola virus-positive blood sample tested. Of these patients, 151 were alive when detected and had reported healthcare facility admission dates and Ct values available. Time from symptom onset to healthcare facility admission was not associated with survival, but viral load in the first Ebola virus-positive blood sample was inversely associated with survival: 52 (87%) of 60 patients with a Ct of >24 survived and 20 (22%) of 91 with a Ct of <24 survived. Ct values may be useful for clinicians making treatment decisions or managing patient or family expectations.
PublisherCenter for Disease Control
- The Contribution of Ebola Viral Load at Admission and Other Patient Characteristics to Mortality in a Médecins Sans Frontières Ebola Case Management Centre, Kailahun, Sierra Leone, June-October 2014.
- Authors: Fitzpatrick G, Vogt F, Moi Gbabai OB, Decroo T, Keane M, De Clerck H, Grolla A, Brechard R, Stinson K, Van Herp M
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 1
- Clinical Features of and Risk Factors for Fatal Ebola Virus Disease, Moyamba District, Sierra Leone, December 2014-February 2015.
- Authors: Haaskjold YL, Bolkan HA, Krogh KØ, Jongopi J, Lundeby KM, Mellesmo S, Garcés PS, Jøsendal O, Øpstad Å, Svensen E, Fuentes LM, Kamara AS, Riera M, Arranz J, Roberts DP, Stamper PD, Austin P, Moosa AJ, Marke D, Hassan S, Eide GE, Berg Å, Blomberg B
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Ebola management centre proximity associated with reduced delays of healthcare of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) patients, Tonkolili, Sierra Leone, 2014-15.
- Authors: Theocharopoulos G, Danis K, Greig J, Hoffmann A, De Valk H, Jimissa A, Tejan S, Sankoh M, Kleijer K, Turner W, Achar J, Duncombe J, Lokuge K, Gayton I, Broeder R, Kremer R, Caleo G
- Issue date: 2017
- Clinical presentations and outcomes of patients with Ebola virus disease in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
- Authors: Ji YJ, Duan XZ, Gao XD, Li L, Li C, Ji D, Li WG, Wang LF, Meng YH, Yang X, Ling BF, Song XA, Gu ML, Jiang T, Koroma SM, Bangalie J, Duan HJ
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 3
- Inpatient signs and symptoms and factors associated with death in children aged 5 years and younger admitted to two Ebola management centres in Sierra Leone, 2014: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Shah T, Greig J, van der Plas LM, Achar J, Caleo G, Squire JS, Turay AS, Joshy G, D'Este C, Banks E, Vogt F, Lokuge K
- Issue date: 2016 Jul