Effect of Short-Term Supplementation with Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food or Micronutrients for Children after Illness for Prevention of Malnutrition: A Randomised Controlled Trial in Uganda
Authorsvan der Kam, S
Kasujja, F X
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGlobally, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) treats more than 300,000 severely malnourished children annually. Malnutrition is not only caused by lack of food but also by illnesses and by poor infant and child feeding practices. Breaking the vicious cycle of illness and malnutrition by providing ill children with nutritional supplementation is a potentially powerful strategy for preventing malnutrition that has not been adequately investigated. Therefore, MSF investigated whether incidence of malnutrition among ill children <5 y old could be reduced by providing a fortified food product or micronutrients during their 2-wk convalescence period. Two trials, one in Nigeria and one in Uganda, were conducted; here, we report on the trial that took place in Kaabong, a poor agropastoral region of Karamoja, in east Uganda. While the region of Karamoja shows an acute malnutrition rate between 8.4% and 11.5% of which 2% to 3% severe malnutrition, more than half (58%) of the population in the district of Kaabong is considered food insecure.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Effect of Short-Term Supplementation with Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food or Micronutrients for Children after Illness for Prevention of Malnutrition: A Randomised Controlled Trial in Nigeria.
- Authors: van der Kam S, Salse-Ubach N, Roll S, Swarthout T, Gayton-Toyoshima S, Jiya NM, Matsumoto A, Shanks L
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Ready-to-use therapeutic food for home-based treatment of severe acute malnutrition in children from six months to five years of age.
- Authors: Schoonees A, Lombard M, Musekiwa A, Nel E, Volmink J
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 6
- Effect of ready-to-use supplementary food on mortality in severely immunocompromised HIV-infected individuals in Africa initiating antiretroviral therapy (REALITY): an open-label, parallel-group, randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Mallewa J, Szubert AJ, Mugyenyi P, Chidziva E, Thomason MJ, Chepkorir P, Abongomera G, Baleeta K, Etyang A, Warambwa C, Melly B, Mudzingwa S, Kelly C, Agutu C, Wilkes H, Nkomani S, Musiime V, Lugemwa A, Pett SL, Bwakura-Dangarembizi M, Prendergast AJ, Gibb DM, Walker AS, Berkley JA, REALITY trial team.
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Transition from F-75 to ready-to-use therapeutic food in children with severe acute malnutrition, an observational study in Uganda.
- Authors: Lanyero B, Namusoke H, Nabukeera-Barungi N, Grenov B, Mupere E, Michaelsen KF, Mølgaard C, Christensen VB, Friis H, Briend A
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 30
- Ready-to-use therapeutic food (RUTF) for home-based nutritional rehabilitation of severe acute malnutrition in children from six months to five years of age.
- Authors: Schoonees A, Lombard MJ, Musekiwa A, Nel E, Volmink J
- Issue date: 2019 May 15