Dilution Testing Using Rapid Diagnostic Tests in a HIV Diagnostic Algorithm: a Novel Alternative for Confirmation Testing in Resource Limited Settings
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCurrent WHO testing guidelines for resource limited settings diagnose HIV on the basis of screening tests without a confirmation test due to cost constraints. This leads to a potential risk of false positive HIV diagnosis. In this paper, we evaluate the dilution test, a novel method for confirmation testing, which is simple, rapid, and low cost. The principle of the dilution test is to alter the sensitivity of a rapid diagnostic test (RDT) by dilution of the sample, in order to screen out the cross reacting antibodies responsible for falsely positive RDT results.
- Evaluation of HIV testing algorithms in Ethiopia: the role of the tie-breaker algorithm and weakly reacting test lines in contributing to a high rate of false positive HIV diagnoses.
- Authors: Shanks L, Siddiqui MR, Kliescikova J, Pearce N, Ariti C, Muluneh L, Pirou E, Ritmeijer K, Masiga J, Abebe A
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 3
- Accounting for False Positive HIV Tests: Is Visceral Leishmaniasis Responsible?
- Authors: Shanks L, Ritmeijer K, Piriou E, Siddiqui MR, Kliescikova J, Pearce N, Ariti C, Muluneh L, Masiga J, Abebe A
- Issue date: 2015
- The evaluation of a rapid in situ HIV confirmation test in a programme with a high failure rate of the WHO HIV two-test diagnostic algorithm.
- Authors: Klarkowski DB, Wazome JM, Lokuge KM, Shanks L, Mills CF, O'Brien DP
- Issue date: 2009
- Self-reported HIV-positive status but subsequent HIV-negative test result using rapid diagnostic testing algorithms among seven sub-Saharan African military populations.
- Authors: Harbertson J, Hale BR, Tran BR, Thomas AG, Grillo MP, Jacobs MB, McAnany J, Shaffer RA
- Issue date: 2017
- Evaluation of the Bio-Rad Multispot HIV-1/HIV-2 Rapid Test as an alternative to Western blot for confirmation of HIV infection.
- Authors: Cárdenas AM, Baughan E, Hodinka RL
- Issue date: 2013 Dec