Effect of Short-Term Supplementation with Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food or Micronutrients for Children after Illness for Prevention of Malnutrition: A Randomised Controlled Trial in Nigeria
Authorsvan der Kam, S
Jiya, N M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGlobally, Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) treats more than 300,000 severely malnourished children annually. Malnutrition is not only caused by lack of food and poor infant and child feeding practices but also by illnesses. Breaking the vicious cycle of illness and malnutrition by providing ill children with nutritional supplementation is a potentially powerful strategy for preventing malnutrition that has not been adequately investigated. Therefore, MSF investigated whether incidence of malnutrition among ill children <5 y old could be reduced by providing a fortified food product or micronutrients during their 2-wk convalescence period. Two trials, one in Nigeria and one in Uganda, were conducted; here we report on the trial that took place in Goronyo, a rural region of northwest Nigeria with high morbidity and malnutrition rates.
PublisherPublic Library of Science
- Effect of Short-Term Supplementation with Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food or Micronutrients for Children after Illness for Prevention of Malnutrition: A Randomised Controlled Trial in Uganda.
- Authors: van der Kam S, Roll S, Swarthout T, Edyegu-Otelu G, Matsumoto A, Kasujja FX, Casademont C, Shanks L, Salse-Ubach N
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Impact of fortified versus unfortified lipid-based supplements on morbidity and nutritional status: A randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial in ill Gambian children.
- Authors: Unger SA, Drammeh S, Hasan J, Ceesay K, Sinjanka E, Beyai S, Sonko B, Dondeh BL, Fulford AJ, Moore SE, Prentice AM
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Ready-to-use therapeutic food for home-based treatment of severe acute malnutrition in children from six months to five years of age.
- Authors: Schoonees A, Lombard M, Musekiwa A, Nel E, Volmink J
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 6
- Home fortification of foods with multiple micronutrient powders for health and nutrition in children under two years of age (Review).
- Authors: De-Regil LM, Suchdev PS, Vist GE, Walleser S, Peña-Rosas JP
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Ready-to-use therapeutic food for catch-up growth in children after an episode of Plasmodium falciparum malaria: an open randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: van der Kam S, Swarthout T, Niragira O, Froud A, Sompwe EM, Mills C, Roll S, Tinnemann P, Shanks L
- Issue date: 2012