Addressing Diabetes Mellitus as Part of the Strategy for Ending TB
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAs we enter the new era of Sustainable Development Goals, the international community has committed to ending the TB epidemic by 2030 through implementation of an ambitious strategy to reduce TB-incidence and TB-related mortality and avoiding catastrophic costs for TB-affected families. Diabetes mellitus (DM) triples the risk of TB and increases the probability of adverse TB treatment outcomes such as failure, death and recurrent TB. The rapidly escalating global epidemic of DM means that DM needs to be addressed if TB-related milestones and targets are to be achieved. WHO and the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease's Collaborative Framework for Care and Control of Tuberculosis and Diabetes, launched in 2011, provides a template to guide policy makers and implementers to combat the epidemics of both diseases. However, more evidence is required to answer important questions about bi-directional screening, optimal ways of delivering treatment, integration of DM and TB services, and infection control. This should in turn contribute to better and earlier TB case detection, and improved TB treatment outcomes and prevention. DM and TB collaborative care can also help guide the development of a more effective and integrated public health approach for managing non-communicable diseases.
PublisherOxford University Press
- Diabetes mellitus and tuberculosis: programmatic management issues.
- Authors: Harries AD, Kumar AM, Satyanarayana S, Lin Y, Zachariah R, Lönnroth K, Kapur A
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Childhood TB: can the End TB Strategy deliver?
- Authors: Seddon JA, Graham SM
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- The looming epidemic of diabetes-associated tuberculosis: learning lessons from HIV-associated tuberculosis.
- Authors: Harries AD, Lin Y, Satyanarayana S, Lönnroth K, Li L, Wilson N, Chauhan LS, Zachariah R, Baker MA, Jeon CY, Murray MB, Maher D, Bygbjerg IC, Enarson DA, Billo NE, Kapur A
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Assessment of health system challenges and opportunities for possible integration of diabetes mellitus and tuberculosis services in South-Eastern Amhara Region, Ethiopia: a qualitative study.
- Authors: Workneh MH, Bjune GA, Yimer SA
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 19
- Epidemiology and interaction of diabetes mellitus and tuberculosis and challenges for care: a review.
- Authors: Harries AD, Satyanarayana S, Kumar AM, Nagaraja SB, Isaakidis P, Malhotra S, Achanta S, Naik B, Wilson N, Zachariah R, Lönnroth K, Kapur A
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 4