Feasibility of Xpert Ebola Assay in Médecins Sans Frontières Ebola Program, Guinea
AuthorsVan den Bergh, R
van Vyve, C
Van Herp, M
MetadataShow full item record
JournalEmerging Infectious Diseases
AbstractRapid diagnostic methods are essential in control of Ebola outbreaks and lead to timely isolation of cases and improved epidemiologic surveillance. Diagnosis during Ebola outbreaks in West Africa has relied on PCR performed in laboratories outside this region. Because time between sampling and PCR results can be considerable, we assessed the feasibility and added value of using the Xpert Ebola Assay in an Ebola control program in Guinea. A total of 218 samples were collected during diagnosis, treatment, and convalescence of patients. Median time for obtaining results was reduced from 334 min to 165 min. Twenty-six samples were positive for Ebola virus. Xpert cycle thresholds were consistently lower, and 8 (31%) samples were negative by routine PCR. Several logistic and safety issues were identified. We suggest that implementation of the Xpert Ebola Assay under programmatic conditions is feasible and represents a major advance in diagnosis of Ebola virus disease without apparent loss of assay sensitivity.
- Performance of the GeneXpert Ebola Assay for Diagnosis of Ebola Virus Disease in Sierra Leone: A Field Evaluation Study.
- Authors: Semper AE, Broadhurst MJ, Richards J, Foster GM, Simpson AJ, Logue CH, Kelly JD, Miller A, Brooks TJ, Murray M, Pollock NR
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Development and evaluation of a real-time RT-PCR assay for the detection of Ebola virus (Zaire) during an Ebola outbreak in Guinea in 2014-2015.
- Authors: Dedkov VG, Magassouba NF, Safonova MV, Deviatkin AA, Dolgova AS, Pyankov OV, Sergeev AA, Utkin DV, Odinokov GN, Safronov VA, Agafonov AP, Maleev VV, Shipulin GA
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Ebolavirus diagnosis made simple, comparable and faster than molecular detection methods: preparing for the future.
- Authors: James AS, Todd S, Pollak NM, Marsh GA, Macdonald J
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 23
- ReEBOV Antigen Rapid Test kit for point-of-care and laboratory-based testing for Ebola virus disease: a field validation study.
- Authors: Broadhurst MJ, Kelly JD, Miller A, Semper A, Bailey D, Groppelli E, Simpson A, Brooks T, Hula S, Nyoni W, Sankoh AB, Kanu S, Jalloh A, Ton Q, Sarchet N, George P, Perkins MD, Wonderly B, Murray M, Pollock NR
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 29
- Analytical Performance Characteristics of the Cepheid GeneXpert Ebola Assay for the Detection of Ebola Virus.
- Authors: Pinsky BA, Sahoo MK, Sandlund J, Kleman M, Kulkarni M, Grufman P, Nygren M, Kwiatkowski R, Baron EJ, Tenover F, Denison B, Higuchi R, Van Atta R, Beer NR, Carrillo AC, Naraghi-Arani P, Mire CE, Ranadheera C, Grolla A, Lagerqvist N, Persing DH
- Issue date: 2015