van Griensven, J
MetadataShow full item record
JournalLancet Infectious Diseases
AbstractQuantitative measurement of viral load is an important parameter in the management of filovirus disease outbreaks because viral load correlates with severity of disease, survival, and infectivity. During the ongoing Ebola virus disease outbreak in parts of Western Africa, most assays used in the detection of Ebola virus disease by more than 44 diagnostic laboratories yielded qualitative results. Regulatory hurdles involved in validating quantitative assays and the urgent need for a rapid Ebola virus disease diagnosis precluded development of validated quantitative assays during the outbreak. Because of sparse quantitative data obtained from these outbreaks, opportunities for study of correlations between patient outcome, changes in viral load during the course of an outbreak, disease course in asymptomatic individuals, and the potential for virus transmission between infected patients and contacts have been limited. We strongly urge the continued development of quantitative viral load assays to carefully evaluate these parameters in future outbreaks of filovirus disease.
- Postmortem stability of Ebola virus.
- Authors: Prescott J, Bushmaker T, Fischer R, Miazgowicz K, Judson S, Munster VJ
- Issue date: 2015 May
- External quality assessment study for ebolavirus PCR-diagnostic promotes international preparedness during the 2014 - 2016 Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
- Authors: Ellerbrok H, Jacobsen S, Patel P, Rieger T, Eickmann M, Becker S, Günther S, Naidoo D, Schrick L, Keeren K, Targosz A, Teichmann A, Formenty P, Niedrig M
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Ebola virus disease: a highly fatal infectious disease reemerging in West Africa.
- Authors: To KK, Chan JF, Tsang AK, Cheng VC, Yuen KY
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Rapid diagnosis of Ebola hemorrhagic fever by reverse transcription-PCR in an outbreak setting and assessment of patient viral load as a predictor of outcome.
- Authors: Towner JS, Rollin PE, Bausch DG, Sanchez A, Crary SM, Vincent M, Lee WF, Spiropoulou CF, Ksiazek TG, Lukwiya M, Kaducu F, Downing R, Nichol ST
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Development, Evaluation, and Integration of a Quantitative Reverse-Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction Diagnostic Test for Ebola Virus on a Molecular Diagnostics Platform.
- Authors: Cnops L, Van den Eede P, Pettitt J, Heyndrickx L, De Smet B, Coppens S, Andries I, Pattery T, Van Hove L, Meersseman G, Van Den Herrewegen S, Vergauwe N, Thijs R, Jahrling PB, Nauwelaers D, Ariën KK
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 15