Predictive Modeling Targets Thymidylate Synthase ThyX in Mycobacterium Tuberculosis
Becker, H F
Bush, N G
Hearnshaw, S J
Pritchard, J E
Madrid, P B
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere is an urgent need to identify new treatments for tuberculosis (TB), a major infectious disease caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb), which results in 1.5 million deaths each year. We have targeted two essential enzymes in this organism that are promising for antibacterial therapy and reported to be inhibited by naphthoquinones. ThyX is an essential thymidylate synthase that is mechanistically and structurally unrelated to the human enzyme. DNA gyrase is a DNA topoisomerase present in bacteria and plants but not animals. The current study set out to understand the structure-activity relationships of these targets in Mtb using a combination of cheminformatics and in vitro screening. Here, we report the identification of new Mtb ThyX inhibitors, 2-chloro-3-(4-methanesulfonylpiperazin-1-yl)-1,4-dihydronaphthalene-1,4-dione) and idebenone, which show modest whole-cell activity and appear to act, at least in part, by targeting ThyX in Mtb.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Discovery of an acyclic nucleoside phosphonate that inhibits Mycobacterium tuberculosis ThyX based on the binding mode of a 5-alkynyl substrate analogue.
- Authors: Parchina A, Froeyen M, Margamuljana L, Rozenski J, De Jonghe S, Briers Y, Lavigne R, Herdewijn P, Lescrinier E
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Mechanistic and structural basis for inhibition of thymidylate synthase ThyX.
- Authors: Basta T, Boum Y, Briffotaux J, Becker HF, Lamarre-Jouenne I, Lambry JC, Skouloubris S, Liebl U, Graille M, van Tilbeurgh H, Myllykallio H
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Discovery of a new Mycobacterium tuberculosis thymidylate synthase X inhibitor with a unique inhibition profile.
- Authors: Abu El Asrar R, Margamuljana L, Klaassen H, Nijs M, Marchand A, Chaltin P, Myllykallio H, Becker HF, De Jonghe S, Herdewijn P, Lescrinier E
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 1
- Virtual Screening and X-ray Crystallography Identify Non-Substrate Analog Inhibitors of Flavin-Dependent Thymidylate Synthase.
- Authors: Luciani R, Saxena P, Surade S, Santucci M, Venturelli A, Borsari C, Marverti G, Ponterini G, Ferrari S, Blundell TL, Costi MP
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 13
- Kinetics and ligand-binding preferences of Mycobacterium tuberculosis thymidylate synthases, ThyA and ThyX.
- Authors: Hunter JH, Gujjar R, Pang CK, Rathod PK
- Issue date: 2008 May 21