Inpatient Signs and Symptoms and Factors Associated with Death in Children Aged 5 Years and Younger Admitted to Two Ebola Management Centres in Sierra Leone, 2014: a Retrospective Cohort Study
van der Plas, LM
MetadataShow full item record
JournalLancet Global Health
AbstractMédecins Sans Frontières (MSF) opened Ebola management centres (EMCs) in Sierra Leone in Kailahun in June, 2014, and Bo in September, 2014. Case fatality in the west African Ebola virus disease epidemic has been highest in children younger than 5 years. Clinical data on outcomes can provide important evidence to guide future management. However, such data on children are scarce and disaggregated clinical data across all ages in this epidemic have focussed on symptoms reported on arrival at treatment facilities, rather than symptoms and signs observed during admission. We aimed to describe the clinical characteristics of children aged 5 years and younger admitted to the MSF EMCs in Bo and Kailahun, and any associations between these characteristics and mortality.
- Ebola management centre proximity associated with reduced delays of healthcare of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) patients, Tonkolili, Sierra Leone, 2014-15.
- Authors: Theocharopoulos G, Danis K, Greig J, Hoffmann A, De Valk H, Jimissa A, Tejan S, Sankoh M, Kleijer K, Turner W, Achar J, Duncombe J, Lokuge K, Gayton I, Broeder R, Kremer R, Caleo G
- Issue date: 2017
- The Contribution of Ebola Viral Load at Admission and Other Patient Characteristics to Mortality in a Médecins Sans Frontières Ebola Case Management Centre, Kailahun, Sierra Leone, June-October 2014.
- Authors: Fitzpatrick G, Vogt F, Moi Gbabai OB, Decroo T, Keane M, De Clerck H, Grolla A, Brechard R, Stinson K, Van Herp M
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 1
- Clinical features of patients isolated for suspected Ebola virus disease at Connaught Hospital, Freetown, Sierra Leone: a retrospective cohort study.
- Authors: Lado M, Walker NF, Baker P, Haroon S, Brown CS, Youkee D, Studd N, Kessete Q, Maini R, Boyles T, Hanciles E, Wurie A, Kamara TB, Johnson O, Leather AJM
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Enhanced case management can be delivered for patients with EVD in Africa: Experience from a UK military Ebola treatment centre in Sierra Leone.
- Authors: Dickson SJ, Clay KA, Adam M, Ardley C, Bailey MS, Burns DS, Cox AT, Craig DG, Espina M, Ewington I, Fitchett G, Grindrod J, Hinsley DE, Horne S, Hutley E, Johnston AM, Kao RLC, Lamb LE, Lewis S, Marion D, Moore AJ, Nicholson-Roberts TC, Phillips A, Praught J, Rees PS, Schoonbaert I, Trinick T, Wilson DR, Simpson AJ, Wang D, O'Shea MK, Fletcher TE
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Characteristics and Outcomes of Pediatric Patients With Ebola Virus Disease Admitted to Treatment Units in Liberia and Sierra Leone: A Retrospective Cohort Study.
- Authors: Smit MA, Michelow IC, Glavis-Bloom J, Wolfman V, Levine AC
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 1