Convergence of a Diabetes Mellitus, Protein Energy Malnutrition, and TB Epidemic: the Neglected Elderly Population
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Infectious Diseases
AbstractOn a global scale, nearly two billion persons are infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis. From this vast reservoir of latent tuberculosis (TB) infection, a substantial number will develop active TB during their lifetime, with some being able to transmit TB or Multi-drug- resistant (MDR) TB to others. There is clinical evidence pointing to a higher prevalence of infectious diseases including TB among individuals with Diabetes Mellitus (DM). Furthermore, ageing and diabetes mellitus may further aggravate protein-energy malnutrition (PEM), which in turn impairs T-lymphocyte mediated immunologic defenses, thereby increasing the risk of developing active TB and compromising TB treatment. This article aims to a) highlight synergistic mechanisms associated with immunosenescence, DM and PEM in relation to the development of active TB and b) identify nutritional, clinical and epidemiological research gaps.
- Association between diabetes mellitus and active tuberculosis: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Al-Rifai RH, Pearson F, Critchley JA, Abu-Raddad LJ
- Issue date: 2017
- Diabetes is associated with lower tuberculosis antigen-specific interferon gamma release in Tanzanian tuberculosis patients and non-tuberculosis controls.
- Authors: Faurholt-Jepsen D, Aabye MG, Jensen AV, Range N, Praygod G, Jeremiah K, Changalucha J, Faurholt-Jepsen M, Jensen L, Jensen SM, Krarup H, Ravn P, Friis H, Andersen AB
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Protein energy malnutrition during vaccination has limited influence on vaccine efficacy but abolishes immunity if administered during Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection.
- Authors: Hoang T, Agger EM, Cassidy JP, Christensen JP, Andersen P
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Prevalence and associated factors of tuberculosis and diabetes mellitus comorbidity: A systematic review.
- Authors: Workneh MH, Bjune GA, Yimer SA
- Issue date: 2017
- [Evolution of IGRA researches].
- Authors: Ariga H, Harada N
- Issue date: 2008 Sep