Where There is Hope: A Qualitative Study Examining Patients' Adherence to Multi-Drug Resistant Tuberculosis Treatment in Karakalpakstan, Uzbekistan
MetadataShow full item record
JournalBMC Infectious Diseases
AbstractTreatment for multi-drug resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) is lengthy, has severe side effects, and raises adherence challenges. In the Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) and Ministry of Health (MoH) programme in Karakalpakstan, Uzbekistan, a region with a high burden of MDR-TB, patient loss from treatment (LFT) remains high despite adherence support strategies. While certain factors associated with LFT have been identified, there is limited understanding of why some patients are able to adhere to treatment while others are not. We conducted a qualitative study to explore patients' experiences with MDR-TB treatment, with the aim of providing insight into the barriers and enablers to treatment-taking to inform future strategies of adherence support.
- Person-centred care in practice: perspectives from a short course regimen for multi-drug resistant tuberculosis in Karakalpakstan, Uzbekistan.
- Authors: Horter S, Stringer B, Gray N, Parpieva N, Safaev K, Tigay Z, Singh J, Achar J
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 16
- "Home is where the patient is": a qualitative analysis of a patient-centred model of care for multi-drug resistant tuberculosis.
- Authors: Horter S, Stringer B, Reynolds L, Shoaib M, Kasozi S, Casas EC, Verputten M, du Cros P
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 21
- 'They prefer hidden treatment': anti-tuberculosis drug-taking practices and drug regulation in Karakalpakstan.
- Authors: Stringer B, Lowton K, Tillashaikhov M, Parpieva N, Ulmasova D, du Cros P, Hasker E, Sergeeva N
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Patient and health-care worker perspectives on the short-course regimen for treatment of drug-resistant tuberculosis in Karakalpakstan, Uzbekistan.
- Authors: Horter S, Achar J, Gray N, Parpieva N, Tigay Z, Singh J, Stringer B
- Issue date: 2020
- Improving outcomes for multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis in the Peruvian Amazon - a qualitative study exploring the experiences and perceptions of patients and healthcare professionals.
- Authors: McNally TW, de Wildt G, Meza G, Wiskin CMD
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 22