Ending the HIV/AIDS Epidemic in Low- and Middle-Income Countries by 2030: Is It Possible?
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe international community has committed to ending the epidemics of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, and neglected tropical infections by 2030, and this bold stance deserves universal support. In this paper, we discuss whether this ambitious goal is achievable for HIV/AIDS and what is needed to further accelerate progress. The joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) 90-90-90 targets and the related strategy are built upon currently available health technologies that can diagnose HIV infection and suppress viral replication in all people with HIV. Nonetheless, there is much work to be done in ensuring equitable access to these HIV services for key populations and those who remain outside the rims of the traditional health services. Identifying a cure and a preventive vaccine would further help accelerate progress in ending the epidemic. Other disease control programmes could learn from the response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic.
- A tale of two countries: progress towards UNAIDS 90-90-90 targets in Botswana and Australia.
- Authors: Marukutira T, Stoové M, Lockman S, Mills LA, Gaolathe T, Lebelonyane R, Jarvis JN, Kelly SL, Wilson DP, Luchters S, Crowe SM, Hellard M
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Setting targets for universal access to HIV prevention, treatment and care for injecting drug users (IDUs): towards consensus and improved guidance.
- Authors: Donoghoe MC, Verster A, Pervilhac C, Williams P
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- Impact and Cost of Scaling Up Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision for HIV Prevention in the Context of the New 90-90-90 HIV Treatment Targets.
- Authors: Kripke K, Reed J, Hankins C, Smiley G, Laube C, Njeuhmeli E
- Issue date: 2016
- New Antiretroviral Treatment for HIV.
- Authors: Badowski ME, Pérez SE, Biagi M, Littler JA
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- International response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic: planning for success.
- Authors: Piot P, Coll Seck AM
- Issue date: 2001