An Optimised Age-Based Dosing Regimen for Single Low-Dose Primaquine For Blocking Malaria Transmission in Cambodia
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn 2012, the World Health Organization recommended the addition of single low-dose primaquine (SLDPQ, 0.25 mg base/kg body weight) to artemisinin combination therapies to block the transmission of Plasmodium falciparum without testing for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency. The targeted group was non-pregnant patients aged ≥ 1 year (later changed to ≥ 6 months) with acute uncomplicated falciparum malaria, primarily in countries with artemisinin-resistant P. falciparum (ARPf). No dosing regimen was suggested, leaving malaria control programmes and clinicians in limbo. Therefore, we designed a user-friendly, age-based SLDPQ regimen for Cambodia, the country most affected by ARPf.
- Single low-dose primaquine for blocking transmission of Plasmodium falciparum malaria - a proposed model-derived age-based regimen for sub-Saharan Africa.
- Authors: Taylor WR, Naw HK, Maitland K, Williams TN, Kapulu M, D'Alessandro U, Berkley JA, Bejon P, Okebe J, Achan J, Amambua AN, Affara M, Nwakanma D, van Geertruyden JP, Mavoko M, Lutumba P, Matangila J, Brasseur P, Piola P, Randremanana R, Lasry E, Fanello C, Onyamboko M, Schramm B, Yah Z, Jones J, Fairhurst RM, Diakite M, Malenga G, Molyneux M, Rwagacondo C, Obonyo C, Gadisa E, Aseffa A, Loolpapit M, Henry MC, Dorsey G, John C, Sirima SB, Barnes KI, Kremsner P, Day NP, White NJ, Mukaka M
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 18
- Single dose primaquine to reduce gametocyte carriage and Plasmodium falciparum transmission in Cambodia: An open-label randomized trial.
- Authors: Lin JT, Lon C, Spring MD, Sok S, Chann S, Ittiverakul M, Kuntawunginn W, My M, Thay K, Rahman R, Balasubramanian S, Char M, Lanteri CA, Gosi P, Ubalee R, Meshnick SR, Saunders DL
- Issue date: 2017
- Safety of a single low-dose of primaquine in addition to standard artemether-lumefantrine regimen for treatment of acute uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Tanzania.
- Authors: Mwaiswelo R, Ngasala BE, Jovel I, Gosling R, Premji Z, Poirot E, Mmbando BP, Björkman A, Mårtensson A
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 10
- Single Low Dose Primaquine (0.25 mg/kg) Does Not Cause Clinically Significant Haemolysis in G6PD Deficient Subjects.
- Authors: Bancone G, Chowwiwat N, Somsakchaicharoen R, Poodpanya L, Moo PK, Gornsawun G, Kajeechiwa L, Thwin MM, Rakthinthong S, Nosten S, Thinraow S, Nyo SN, Ling CL, Wiladphaingern J, Kiricharoen NL, Moore KA, White NJ, Nosten F
- Issue date: 2016
- Effectiveness of five artemisinin combination regimens with or without primaquine in uncomplicated falciparum malaria: an open-label randomised trial.
- Authors: Smithuis F, Kyaw MK, Phe O, Win T, Aung PP, Oo AP, Naing AL, Nyo MY, Myint NZ, Imwong M, Ashley E, Lee SJ, White NJ
- Issue date: 2010 Oct