Effectiveness of One Dose of Oral Cholera Vaccine in Response to an Outbreak: A Case-Cohort Study
MetadataShow full item record
JournalThe Lancet. Global health
AbstractOral cholera vaccines represent a new effective tool to fight cholera and are licensed as two-dose regimens with 2-4 weeks between doses. Evidence from previous studies suggests that a single dose of oral cholera vaccine might provide substantial direct protection against cholera. During a cholera outbreak in May, 2015, in Juba, South Sudan, the Ministry of Health, Médecins Sans Frontières, and partners engaged in the first field deployment of a single dose of oral cholera vaccine to enhance the outbreak response. We did a vaccine effectiveness study in conjunction with this large public health intervention.
- 5 year efficacy of a bivalent killed whole-cell oral cholera vaccine in Kolkata, India: a cluster-randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
- Authors: Bhattacharya SK, Sur D, Ali M, Kanungo S, You YA, Manna B, Sah B, Niyogi SK, Park JK, Sarkar B, Puri MK, Kim DR, Deen JL, Holmgren J, Carbis R, Dhingra MS, Donner A, Nair GB, Lopez AL, Wierzba TF, Clemens JD
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Use of a cholera rapid diagnostic test during a mass vaccination campaign in response to an epidemic in Guinea, 2012.
- Authors: Martinez-Pino I, Luquero FJ, Sakoba K, Sylla S, Haile M, Grais RF, Ciglenecki I, Quilici ML, Page AL
- Issue date: 2013
- Effectiveness of an oral cholera vaccine campaign to prevent clinically-significant cholera in Odisha State, India.
- Authors: Wierzba TF, Kar SK, Mogasale VV, Kerketta AS, You YA, Baral P, Khuntia HK, Ali M, Kim YH, Rath SB, Bhattachan A, Sah B
- Issue date: 2015 May 15
- Use of Vibrio cholerae vaccine in an outbreak in Guinea.
- Authors: Luquero FJ, Grout L, Ciglenecki I, Sakoba K, Traore B, Heile M, Diallo AA, Itama C, Page AL, Quilici ML, Mengel MA, Eiros JM, Serafini M, Legros D, Grais RF
- Issue date: 2014 May 29
- First outbreak response using an oral cholera vaccine in Africa: vaccine coverage, acceptability and surveillance of adverse events, Guinea, 2012.
- Authors: Luquero FJ, Grout L, Ciglenecki I, Sakoba K, Traore B, Heile M, Dialo AA, Itama C, Serafini M, Legros D, Grais RF
- Issue date: 2013